Fabrica Nacional de Motores (FNM)
Fabrica Nacional de Motores (FNM) was a vehicle and engine manufacturer in Duque de Caxias, near Rio de Janeiro from 1942 to 1988.
FNM was formed in 1942 as part of the Estado Novo agenda of President Getulio Dornelles Vargas to kick start the Brazilian industrial sector. Originally, FNM manufactured American Curtiss-Wright aircraft engines, ammunition, bicycles, spindles and refrigerators.
After WWII, the government wanted to launch a vehicle manufacturing industry, so in 1949 it reached an agreement with Isotta Fraschini to produce heavy trucks. This partnership ended in 1951 with Isotta Fraschini entering bankruptcy.
In 1952 FNM entered a partnership with Alfa Romeo to manufacture commercial vehicles. Between 1956 and 1960, FNM produced over 15,000 Alfa Romeo design trucks. FNM trucks were nicknames “Feneme”.
FNM began to produce passenger vehicles in 1960 for Alfa Romeo. These were the most expensive and luxurious cars in Brazil. In 1966, FNM produced a vehicle named the Onca which resembled a Ford Mustang.
In 1968, Alfa Romeo gained the controlling share of FNM. Commercial vehicle production had ceased in the 1960s and the commercial vehicle business was sold to Fiat in 1973.
In 1974, Alfa Romeo ended FNM named cars and replaced the badges with their own. In 1988, Fiat removed the FNM badge from their commercial vehicles and renamed them as Iveco.
Image Caption: FNM Brasinca. Credit: JasonVogel/Wikipedia (CC BY-SA 3.0)