The Goggomobil is a micro-car line manufactured after World War II by Hans Glas GmbH — from 1955 to 1969. There were three models produced. A T sedan, a TS coupe and a TL van.
The Goggomobil initially used a two-cylinder, two-cycle, air-cooled 13.6 hp 245 cc engine with a top speed of 47 mph. Later, available engines were a 14.8 hp, 293 cc which could reach a top speed of 53 mph, and a 18.5 hp 392 cc. The engine was located behind the rear wheels and connected to an electric per-selective transmission and a manual clutch.
It had an independent suspension with coil springs and swing axles. Over the course of its production, 214,313 sedans, 66,511 coupes, and 3,667 vans and pickups were built.
Special versions were exported to the US featuring the 400 cc engine with an automatic gasoline-oil mixer and seven-inch sealed beam headlights.
The T sedan was unveiled at the IFMA international bicycle and motorcycle show in 1954. Originally it was produced with one windshield wiper — changed to two in 1957. Other changes in 1957 included wind up windows instead of sliding windows. In 1964 the rear-hinged suicide doors were replaced with front-hinged conventional doors.
The TS coupe was basically a larger and more expensive version of the T sedan; it was introduced in 1957. The TL van was produced in 1956 with sliding front doors, double back doors or a tailgate and pickup bed. It was used as a transporter as well as for municipal services.
A sports car model was produced from 1957 to 1961. It was called the Goggomobil Dart — only 700 were produced by Buckle Motors Pty Ltd in Sydney, Australia.
Image Caption: Goggomobil TS 250 Coupe. Credit: Softeis/Wikipedia (CC BY-SA 3.0)