- Porpoises use 'sound searchlight' to track down...
- Demand for cocoa is killing primates
- Music could help relax cats at the vet
- WTF are mitochondria?!
- Striped marlin study may reduce overfishing
- Antarctica may have just recorded its hottest...
- Why men grow elaborate beards
- Why were prehistoric animals so huge?
- Dark matter just got a lot weirder
- Bizarre bulge discovered on Ganymede
- Are NASA and Roscosmos planning ISS 2.0?
- Chandra finds clues to identify dark matter
- The Year in Space has liftoff!
- Martian lake crater prime target for NASA's...
- Ia supernovae to answer dark energy mysteries
- Mysteries of Alzheimer's could be solved in space
- Quality of time, not quantity, matters with kids
- Meet the 'Wikipedia' for neurons: NeuroElectro
- Long-lived lemurs could hold secret to human aging
- Medieval potion kills MRSA superbug, scientists...
- Shape-shifting nanoprobes provide wealth of...
- Full moon not to blame for crazy behavior,...
- Urban exercise still healthy despite air pollution
- Exploding head syndrome not as uncommon as thought
- Liquid metal machines eat other substances to move
- VIDEO: Chainsaw-propelled ice skating
- Glowing tampons reveal pollution in UK streams
- Brain-controlled devices work with users to...
- Squid-inspired invisibility camo for soldiers
- 3D-printed rifles can now fire larger caliber...
- Detecting software spots auto-generated papers
- Robot snakes could aid search and rescue
Word of the Day
- To play, gamble.
- To impose upon; delude; trick; humbug; also, to joke; chaff.
- A deceitful game or trick; trickery; humbug; nonsense.
The word 'gammon' in the sense of 'joke, trick' may come from 'backgammon'.
Quote of the DayScience has a simple faith, which transcends utility. Nearly all men of science, all men of learning for that matter, and men of simple ways too, have it in some form and in some degree. It is the faith that it is the privilege of man to learn to understand, and that this is his mission. If we abandon that mission under stress we shall abandon it forever, for stress will not cease. Knowledge for the sake of understanding, not merely to prevail, that is the essence of our being. None can define its limits, or set its ultimate boundaries.
- Vannevar Bush (1890–1974)