MXenergy Tells Customers, “Before You Turn Up the Heat, Consider Turning to a Professional”
HOUSTON, Oct. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Fall is in the air and as temperatures turn cooler many homeowners are getting ready to flip on the furnace for the first time this season. MXenergy, a member of the Constellation family and leading natural gas and electricity provider, is reminding homeowners to take proper precautions before turning up the heat.
“It is important for homeowners to have their heating systems properly serviced and maintained by a licensed, trained professional,” says Marjorie Kass, MXenergy managing director of marketing. “Not only is a poorly maintained furnace not as energy efficient, it can also present real safety issues as well.”
Current data suggests that only 55 percent of homeowners have their heating and cooling equipment professionally serviced each year, leaving the remaining 45 percent facing the potential for higher utility bills, increased furnace wear and tear and dangers such as carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks and fires.
Benefits of Annual Furnace Maintenance
Reduced Fuel Costs: A properly maintained furnace is more energy efficient. Dirty, worn equipment and clogged furnace filters can cause fuel bills to rise as much as 10-15 percent.
Fewer Repair Costs: An annual service check can identify potential problems early decreasing the likelihood of expensive repairs down the road.
Longer Life: Many service providers estimate that routine annual maintenance can extend the life of a typical furnace by as much as 30 percent – more than compensating homeowners for the cost of the yearly service call.
Safety: Most importantly, a trained service technician can identify small cracks or leaks in your heating system, which could put your entire family in danger. Every year hundreds of people die due to gas leaks or carbon monoxide poisoning caused by dirty filters, cracked pipes or faulty equipment.
“One of our company’s missions has always been to help our customers use energy as efficiently as possible,” says Kass. “A clean, properly maintained furnace definitely is more efficient but even more importantly it is safer, which is why we encourage all homeowners to take the time to schedule a furnace tune-up each year.”
While homeowners should have their furnace annually checked by a professional there is one key component of furnace care they can do themselves. Heating service contractors strongly recommend changing furnace filters monthly to maximize airflow, heating efficiency and air quality.
MXenergy, a Constellation company, is one of the fastest growing retail natural gas and electricity suppliers in North America, serving approximately 500,000 customers in 41 utility territories in the United States and Canada. For over 11 years, the company has provided millions of customers with a choice in how they purchase energy to run their homes and businesses. Founded in 1999 to provide natural gas and electricity to consumers in deregulated energy markets, MXenergy helps residential customers and small business owners control their energy bills by providing both fixed and variable rate plans. MXenergy is committed to best practices in environmental conservation, supporting local communities through various outreach programs and is a member of the Chicago Climate Exchange. For more information about MXenergy please visit www.mxenergy.com.
About Constellation Energy
Constellation Energy is a leading competitive supplier of power, natural gas and energy products and services for homes and businesses across the continental United States. It owns a diversified fleet of generating units, totaling approximately 12,000 megawatts of generating capacity, and is a leading advocate for clean, environmentally sustainable energy sources, such as solar power and nuclear energy. The company delivers electricity and natural gas through the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE), its regulated utility in Central Maryland. A FORTUNE 500 company headquartered in Baltimore, Constellation Energy had revenues of $14.3 billion in 2010.
CONTACTS: Marjorie Kass (713) 357-2095 Laurel O'Connor (209) 782-7212 Managing Director NorthStar Media Management LLC firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com