Land O’Lakes Commends USDA on 150 Years of Serving Needs of Farmers, Cooperatives and Rural Americans
ARDEN HILLS, Minn., May 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — In recognition of the 150th anniversary of the creation of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Land O’Lakes today commends the agency for its ongoing efforts in serving the needs of farmers, cooperatives and rural Americans.
To show its support for the agency’s efforts, the Land O’Lakes Board of Directors recently passed a resolution commending USDA for its leadership on a wide variety of policies, issues and programs that benefit American farmers and the food and agricultural industry throughout the country and internationally.
Some examples outlined in the resolution approved by the Land O’Lakes Board of Directors include work with:
- The Secretary of Agriculture and other policy leaders on agricultural policy,
- The Rural Development Cooperative Programs and the Capper Volstead Committee on issues that affect the ability of American farmers to form cooperatives,
- Ag Marketing Service on the administration of Federal Milk Marketing Orders,
- APHIS on review and approval of new varieties of crop seeds with biotech traits,
- The Foreign Ag Service on implementation of agricultural development and international feeding programs through PL 480, the Farmer-to-Farmer Program, the McGovern-Dole International School Feeding Program and the Local/Regional Procurement Program for agricultural commodities used in international agricultural development programs,
- The Foreign Ag Service on market development activities for U.S. dairy and other agricultural products in world markets and
- The National Dairy Board on research and promotion of dairy products.
“The Board of Directors of Land O’Lakes congratulates and commends the Department on reaching its 150th anniversary and pledges to continue and expand our cooperative participation in USDA programs and activities for the benefit of American farmers and the food and agricultural industry,” the resolution states.
Land O’Lakes, Inc. (www.landolakesinc.com) is a national, farmer-owned food and agricultural cooperative with annual sales of nearly $13 billion. The nation’s second-largest cooperative and number 210 on the Fortune 500, Land O’Lakes does business in all 50 states and more than 60 countries. It is a leading marketer of a full line of dairy-based consumer, foodservice and food ingredient products across the United States; serves its international customers with a variety of food and animal feed ingredients; and provides farmers and ranchers with an extensive line of agricultural supplies (feed, seed and crop protection products) and services. Land O’Lakes also provides agricultural assistance and technical training in more than 25 developing nations.
SOURCE Land O’Lakes, Inc.