Whirlpool Canada Named 2012 ENERGY STAR Manufacturer of the Year for Fourth Consecutive Year
MISSISSAUGA, Ontario, June 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Whirlpool Canada today was awarded the 2012 ENERGY STAR® Manufacturer of the Year award by Natural Resources Canada (NRCAN). The award recognizes the company’s leadership in offering consumers energy and water efficiency through its leading home appliance brands.
The NRCAN Manufacturer of the Year award evaluates multiple product lines when determining the winner – making it a very comprehensive honor. This is Whirlpool Canada’s ninth ENERGY STAR award and fourth consecutive Manufacturer of the Year win, earning that award for the seventh time in 10 years. Whirlpool has been honored with 25 ENERGY STAR awards overall in North America, more than any other appliance manufacturer.
“As Manufacturer of the Year, we are proud of our commitment and support for the ENERGY STAR program in Canada,” said Joe Liotine, vice president and general manager, Whirlpool Canada. “Providing ENERGY STAR qualified products to Canadians is a crucial component to our business, and one we will continue to prioritize in partnership with the ENERGY STAR program in Canada.”
As the market leader in efficiency, Whirlpool has made energy and water consumption a priority, and as a result, has driven innovation especially in High Efficiency Top Load Laundry units. In Canada, Whirlpool specifically offers some of the most water- and energy-efficient kitchen and laundry products that are on the market. In 2011, Whirlpool Canada achieved a new company record for ENERGY STAR qualified major household appliances manufactured in Canada. It also set new records for shipments of ENERGY STAR refrigerators and washers last year. Both milestones helped it qualify for the Manufacturer of the Year Award.
The company manufactures and markets over 470 ENERGY STAR qualified appliances for the U.S. and Canadian markets, more than any other appliance manufacturer. Product launches and other innovations from 2011 include:
– Three new ENERGY STAR-qualified platforms were introduced in 2011. The platforms meet the Tier 3 high efficiency criteria set by the Consortium for Energy Efficiency.
– Whirlpool Canada introduced a new premium line of top mount refrigerators. More than three-quarters of the models qualified for the ENERGY STAR logo.
– Maytag brand delivered an award-winning advertising campaign during Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts of the Stanley Cup playoffs, resulting in an unprecedented number of impressions and sales of the Maytag Maxima that was featured in the ads.
– Whirlpool Canada placed high priority on training sales associates about ENERGY STAR-qualified products. The company increased the number of trained associates by double digits and dedicated 80 percent of training content to ENERGY STAR.
– Social media was also given much attention in 2011 and the Whirlpool brand increased its number of Facebook users to 65,000/month. This was done in part by posting energy saving tips and integrating Facebook with the company’s Great Green Challenge, which allows Canadians to connect with other families who are trying new ways to conserve energy.
About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation is the world’s leading manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances, with annual sales of approximately $19 billion in 2011, 68,000 employees, and 66 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Consul, Bauknecht and other major brand names to consumers in nearly every country around the world. Additional information about the company can be found at www.whirlpoolcorp.com.
About Whirlpool Canada
Whirlpool Canada LP, is one of the country’s leading marketer and supplier of home appliances, delivering approximately $1 billion in revenue. The company has approximately 250 employees and operates nationwide with the head office located in Mississauga, Ontario. Whirlpool Canada has an impressive portfolio of high consumer-appeal brands that includes Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, and Inglis. For more than two decades, Whirlpool has led the way in making energy and water conservation a priority, and as a result, has driven innovation especially in High Efficiency Top Load Laundry units. In Canada, Whirlpool specifically offers some of the most water- and energy-efficient kitchen and laundry products that are on the market.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR is administered by Natural Resources Canada under an Agreement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy. It is a voluntary market-based collaboration to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through increased energy efficiency. Today ENERGY STAR offers consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy, money and help protect the environment for future generations. For more information about ENERGY STAR, visit www.energystar.nrcan.gc.ca
SOURCE Whirlpool Canada