FirstEnergy Severe Storm Outage Update
AKRON, Ohio, July 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Service has been restored to more than 283,100 FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) utility customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and New Jersey who lost power following yesterday’s heavy wind and thunderstorms that moved through the area.
Crews continue working around-the-clock to restore power to approximately 43,900 customers, mainly located in western and central Pennsylvania, who remain without power. The current FirstEnergy storm-related outage totals by utility include:
- Penelec – 25,000 customers; the majority of customers will be restored by Saturday, with some restorations extending into Sunday.
- West Penn – 12,000 customers; the majority of customers are expected to have service restored by midnight Saturday, with the remainder completed Sunday.
- Met-Ed – 200 customers; restorations should be completed by late tonight into early Saturday.
- Penn Power – Less than 1,000 customers, with restoration expected by midnight tonight.
- Mon Power – Approximately 1,400 customers as a result of yesterday’s storms, the majority of which will be restored late tonight into tomorrow. An additional 4000 customers are without power due to storms affecting the area today; estimated restoration is midnight Saturday for the majority of these customers.
As debris from the storm is being cleared, customers are cautioned never to touch downed lines. Customers should always assume downed wires are carrying electricity and are reminded to keep their children and pets away from downed wires.
To report an outage, customers should call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877).
For updated information on storm restoration, current outage maps, FirstEnergy’s storm restoration process and tips for staying safe after a storm, go to www.firstenergycorp.com/outages.
Outage information is also available via the company’s Twitter accounts: @Penelec; @W_Penn_Power; @MonPowerWV; @Met_Ed and @Penn_Power.
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.