BMW Group Adds One More Model to their Electric Vehicle Line Up for London 2012
LONDON, August 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ –
BMW, Official Automotive Partner to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, is
keeping the Games moving with a range of fully electric vehicles as part of the fleet. The
160 BMW 1 Series ActiveE models and 40 MINI E’s are being used for many duties including
shuttling athletes and officials within the Olympic Park and surrounding Games sites. They
also helped support elements of the Olympic Torch Relay convoy on its journey around the
UK and will do so similarly for the Paralympic Torch Relay.
Today, BMW is proud to introduce another critical electric vehicle to the Olympic and
Paralympic fleet: the Mini MINI. This specially developed and designed radio controlled
electric car will be used on the field of play in the Olympic Stadium to ferry javelins,
discuses, hammers and shots back from the field to the throwing area, saving valuable time
Three Mini MINIs, designed in the MINI Hatch [http://www.mini.co.uk/model-range/hatch
]back style in 1/4 scale, will be deployed for this crucial task and will be operated by
Games Makers assigned and trained for this duty. The cars are roughly a quarter scale of
the full-sized car and carry the athletic equipment situated inside, accessible through
the adapted sunroof. The Mini MINIs are all blue and feature the same Games livery as the
‘full-size’ official fleet vehicles.
“The MINI team was thrilled to be given this challenge to develop a vehicle with such
an important and high profile role during the Olympic and Paralympic Games,” commented Dr
Juergen Hedrich, Managing Director of MINI Plant Oxford. “I know that everybody was
inspired by the challenge and the knowledge that these models will be seen in action by
millions of people around the world.”
The cars were designed and built to a specification agreed with LOCOG to ensure their
role on the field of play is successful in saving time during competition. Each of the
three Mini MINIs will cover around 6,000 metres per day in four-hour shifts across nine
days of Olympic and nine days of Paralympic competition. The Mini MINIs will:
1) Carry a load of up to 8kg; a single hammer, discus or shot or two javelins. 2) Be operated with a simple control system requiring minimum technical support. 3) Be powered by batteries that can sustain 35 minutes of continuous usage with a radio control range of approximately 100 metres and be fully re-charged in 80 minutes.
After the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games, the three Mini MINIs will return
to base for well-earned rest and relaxation before their next athletic adventure.
Notes To Editors:
Snap shot of Electric Vehicles in the London 2012 Games fleet:
BMW 1 Series ActiveE
- Number in fleet: 160 - 170hp / Zero tailpipe emissions - Usage includes: Games time talent shuttle transporting athletes within the Olympic Park and also available for use by broadcasters. Venue pool cars for operational usage and supporting the Olympic Torch Relay. - Showcase for new charging infrastructure in London; 120 new 'high speed' charge points installed in five key locations in London with the first being installed at ExCeL London.
- Number in fleet: 40 - 204hp / Zero tailpipe emissions - Usage includes: Venue pool cars for operational usage and supporting the Olympic Torch Relay.
- Number in fleet: 3 - 10hp / Zero emissions - Usage: Field of play vehicle to retrieve javelins, discuses, hammers and shot from the field to the throwing area.
Specification of Mini MINI:
- MINI Hatch [http://www.mini.co.uk/model-range/hatch ] design in 1/4 scale - Lightweight composite bodyshell (Vehicle weight 25kg) - True Blue paintwork with orange London 2012 Games livery and white roof - Detailed exterior design including door handles, mirrors, wheel arch finishers, number plates, windscreen wipers and functioning headlights - Removable sunroof panel for access to the equipment storage area - Waterproof equipment storage area - Electric engine, throttled - Duel vented disc brake - Heavy duty shock absorbers - Grass tyres front and rear
Mini MINI dimensions:
- Length: 1100mm - Width: 500mm - Height: 400mm
BMW and London 2012
BMW Group is the world’s most sustainable automotive manufacturer and the natural
automotive partner for a truly sustainable Olympic and Paralympic Games. BMW Group was
chosen by London 2012 due to its ability to meet the emission targets set by London 2012.
The Efficient Dynamic, hybrid and zero emissions cars, motorcycles and bicycles
provided by BMW Group for London 2012 provide essential mobility for athletes and
officials that is vital for the operational success of the Games.
The BMW Group
The BMW Group is one of the most successful manufacturers of automobiles and
motorcycles in the world with its BMW, MINI, Husqvarna Motorcycles and Rolls-Royce brands.
As a global company, the BMW Group operates 29 production and assembly facilities in 14
countries and has a global sales network in more than 140 countries.
In 2011, the BMW Group sold about 1.67 million cars and more than 113,000 motorcycles
worldwide. The profit before tax for the financial year 2011 was euro 7.38 billion on
revenues amounting to euro 68.82 billion. At 31 December 2011, the BMW Group had a
workforce of approximately 100,000 employees.
The success of the BMW Group has always been built on long-term thinking and
responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social
sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a
clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy. As a result
of its efforts, the BMW Group has been ranked industry leader in the Dow Jones
Sustainability Indexes for the last seven years.
SOURCE The BMW Group