The 15th Annual Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival, September 22 & 23
MEDIA CREDENTIALS NOW AVAILABLE
SAN DIEGO, Aug. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The following is released by Coronado Speed Festival and Fleet Week San Diego:
The time is now to fill out the forms for your media credential for this year’s “Race at the Base,” the 15(th) Annual Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival. The media credential application is now available online on the Fleet Week San Diego website at: http://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/events/sf-press.html.
- 250 prestigious historic racecars divided into nine different race groups by make, age and horsepower race at high speed on a spectator-friendly 1.7-mile course constructed on the runways of Naval Air Station North Island.
- Coronado Speed Festival is thrilled to host for the first time ever professional racing as an official event on the Mazda MX-5 Cup Circuit, featuring local Carlsbad, CA driver Elliot Skeer.
- Driven2Dare Military Safety Tour featuring Kawasaki Nine-Time World Champion Drag Racer Rickey Gadsen signing autographs, motorcycle simulator demonstrations, Dale Earnhardt Jr. 2000 Rookie Race Car on display, and more.
- Stock Car Race Series Military Pit Crew Challenge – 16 teams of 10 active-duty sailors and marines timed as they recreate an actual NASCAR pit stop.
- Drift Circuit untimed freestyle motor sport based on achievement of supreme sideways angle and speed in the corner, gaining maximum points through stylized movements and skilled maneuvering techniques.
- Ride & Drive – Test drive high-performance vehicles from Chevrolet, BMW, Volkswagen and Mazda. On the Mazda track, ride along with professional teachers from the renowned Skip Barber Racing School.
- Open paddock – allows fans to walk right up to the cars and interact with the drivers and crew.
- Car club exhibit featuring more than 1,200 vintage cars.
- Celebrate the 50(th) Anniversary of the Navy SEALs, plus military static displays and ship tours.
WHEN: Saturday – Sunday, September 22-23, 2012
WHERE: Naval Air Station North Island, Coronado, CA
COST: $25 one day and $35 for both days, in advance.
Tickets will also be available at the venue ($35 one day and $45 for both days). Children
12 and under are FREE with paid adult admission. Active duty military and their direct
dependents are FREE with ID.
About Coronado Speed Festival and Fleet Week San Diego
The Coronado Speed Festival is Fleet Week San Diego’s preeminent event. Fast-paced, thrilling auto racing and exhibitions for car enthusiasts of all ages mark the widespread draw of this event. Staged at one of racings’ most distinctive locations – Naval Air Station North Island, the birthplace of Naval Aviation – it’s the only place to see live racing on an active U.S. Navy runway.
Fleet Week San Diego 2012 events will take place from September 8 through October 14. The non-profit, 501(c)(3) foundation was created by community and business leaders who understood the great depth of public support for our Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen. In addition to honoring the military services through the annual Fleet Week San Diego events, the foundation’s goals are to foster awareness of the contributions made by military personnel and their families; to enhance relationships between the civilian, business and military communities; to provide events that military personnel and their families can attend at little or no cost; and to promote other organizations that provide services to military personnel and their families. Fleet Week San Diego is funded solely through the generosity of individuals and corporate contributions. More information is available at http://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/donate.html.
A schedule of the events that fall under Fleet Week San Diego is also posted at www.fleetweeksandiego.org/events.html or you can find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fleetweeksd or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/fleetweeksd.
SOURCE Coronado Speed Festival and Fleet Week San Diego