Markey, Flight Attendant Unions Blast TSA Knife Decision
As TSA Administrator Comes to Congress to Testify, Front Line Airline Workers Fight Back Against Risky Rule Change
WASHINGTON, March 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) will host representatives from the five flight attendant unions tomorrow to push back against the new rule change by the Transportation Security Administration that will allow small knives to be brought into passenger airline cabins. This press conference will come just hours before the head of the TSA is set to testify before the Homeland Security Committee in the House of Representatives on airline safety policies.
This week Rep. Markey introduced his “No Knives Act” with Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.) that would overturn this wrong-headed policy. The small knives rule change is currently being opposed by flight attendants, pilots, air marshals, and multiple major airlines.
Press conference with Rep. Ed Markey and five unions representing flight attendants to push back against TSA knife policy
Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.)
Representatives from each of the flight attendant unions, collectively known as the Coalition of Flight Attendant Unions:
- Laura Glading, President, Association of Professional Flight Attendants (American Airlines Flight Attendant)
- Sara Nelson, Vice President, Association of Flight Attendants (United Airlines Flight Attendant)
- Stacy Martin, President, Transport Workers Union Local 556 (Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant)
- Sara Gonzales, Special Representative for International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (ExpressJet Flight Attendant)
- Fred P. McLuckie, Director, Department of Federal Legislation and Regulation, International Brotherhood of Teamsters
George R. Taylor, President for the Federal Air Marshal Service, Federal Law Enforcement Officer Association (FLEOA) Agency
House Triangle, East Front, U.S. Capitol Building
11:30 AM, Thursday, March 14, 2013
The Flight Attendants Union Coalition coordinates on issues of mutual interest to Flight Attendants. Members of the Coalition are the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, Transport Workers Union, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
SOURCE Association of Flight Attendants