EAST: Joint Warfighting 2013 Conference And Expo Returns To Virginia Beach
“Innovation in an Era of Austerity: What Capabilities Do We Need to Operate in a Non-Permissive Environment?”
FAIRFAX, Va., May 8, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The largest defense conference and exposition in the Hampton Roads region returns to the Virginia Beach Convention Center, May 14-16, 2013. EAST: Joint Warfighting 2013 is co-sponsored by AFCEA International and the U.S. Naval Institute, with support from the NDIA Greater Hampton Roads Chapter and the AFCEA Hampton Roads and Tidewater Chapters. The conference is free for military/government; exhibits pass registration (including engagement theater sessions) is free; there is a conference registration fee for industry.
The world is changing; our Nation is changing; and our Services are changing. At EAST: Joint Warfighting 2013, active duty professionals have a say in how the profession of arms will change. This three-day professional development event allows active duty military, government, industry and academia to collaborate on the key issues critical to defense and have the opportunity to engage on multiple levels to help set the agendas for future operations, training, and force structure. Keynote speakers and local command leaders will address the overall theme “Innovation in an Era of Austerity: What Capabilities Do We Need to Operate in a Non-Permissive Environment?”
The conference theme and panel session topics are based on input from operating forces. Speakers and panel participants will voice their points of view and experiences with these issues, allowing attendees to benefit from their knowledge and candid discussion. Featured speakers include:
- ADM William Gortney, USN, Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command (Tuesday, May 14 8:30 am)
- Mr. Frank Kendall, Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics (Tuesday, May 14 Noon)
- GEN Mieczyslaw Bieniek, Polish Army, Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Transformation, NATO (Wednesday, May 15 8:30 am)
- GEN Robert Cone, USA, Commanding General, U.S. Army Training & Doctrine Command (Wednesday, May 15 Noon)
- Dr. John Nagl, Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Center for a New American Security and Minerva Research Fellow, U.S. Naval Academy (Thursday, May 16 8:30 am)
- The Honorable Robert Work, Chief Executive Officer, Center for a New American Security, former Under Secretary of the Navy (Thursday, May 16 Noon)
Seven panel sessions will provide attendees with opportunities to question experts about the latest policy and technology issues.
- Maintaining Command and Control in Contested Operations
- Understanding What the New Budgets Numbers Will Mean
- Striking the Right Balance In Cyber Warfare
- Conducting True Coalition Operations
- Listening to the Junior Officers’ Takes on Going Forward
- Developing the Right Mindset in Tomorrow’s Warfighters
- Getting the Right Stuff to the Operators Faster
EAST: Joint Warfighting also features more than 30 speakers in the cyber, innovation and small business/acquisition engagement theaters on the exhibit floor. The exposition includes more than 100 exhibitors that will show the latest defense and IT technology. In addition, IT professionals will compete in the SANS NetWars interactive network security challenge.
Details and online registration are available at www.jointwarfighting.org.
AFCEA International, established in 1946, is a non-profit membership association serving the military, government, industry, and academia as an ethical forum for advancing professional knowledge and relationships in the fields of communications, IT, intelligence, and global security. For more information, please visit www.afcea.org.
The U.S. Naval Institute, founded in 1873, is the only non-profit, professional military association offering an independent, nonpartisan forum on sea power and national security issues. Its publications, conferences and heritage resources help military and civilians understand the role each plays in safeguarding national security – and our obligation to the men and women of the all-volunteer force who provide it. For more information, please visit www.usni.org.
SOURCE AFCEA International