DTE Energy provides summer cooling tips to save money
DETROIT, July 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Although we’re at the tail end of a simmering heat wave, there’s still plenty of summer left and DTE Energy (NYSE: DTE) wants you to stay cool, stay safe and save money in the process.
DTE Energy reminds its customers that although the weather can impact your energy use, there are some simple ways to lower your electric bill.
The average homeowner spends about $1,900 a year on energy costs, with summer cooling contributing a large part to the total. Of all your summer electric use, air conditioning is the number one cause of higher energy bills.
But whether you run air conditioning or fans to prevent that hot-weather meltdown, DTE Energy has some high bill-busting tips to help you stay comfortable without overloading your checking account:
- Increase your thermostat setting. For every degree you increase your thermostat above 72 degrees, you’ll reduce your cooling costs by up to 3 percent. Better yet, install a programmable thermostat and let it automatically adjust the setting for you – and apply for a $10 rebate! Find out how at dteenergy.com/energystar.
- Change or clean your furnace filter once a month. A dirty filter restricts airflow and can cause your air condition unit to run longer. Vacuum registers and vents regularly, and don’t let furniture and draperies block the air flow.
- Use ceiling fans to assist your air conditioning. Set them to run counter-clockwise (or downward air flow), which provides better air circulation. Remember to turn them off when you leave the room.
- Close blinds, draperies and shades on windows facing the sun to block out the heat, and wait until cooler times of the day to run your dishwasher or clothes dryer.
- Join DTE Energy’s CoolCurrents(®) program for cost-saving, central air conditioning comfort. This program can reduce summer cooling costs by up to 12 percent. Find out more at dteenergy.com/coolcurrents.
- Have your central air conditioning unit tuned-up by a professional, plus clear away weeds and debris so that air can circulate freely around the unit.
One last tip – Be sure to drink plenty of fluids in hot weather and enjoy the summer!
You can find more cooling tips at dteenergy.com/summer and http://bit.ly/summercoolingtips.
SOURCE DTE Energy