July 29, 2008

Southern California Edison Transmission and Generation Operating Normally Following Today’s Earthquake

Southern California Edison:

System Status

Southern California Edison's (SCE's) transmission and generation systems were operating normally today after a 5.4 magnitude earthquake struck near Chino Hills, but some customers near the epicenter lost power.

-- As of 2 p.m. PDT, about 100 customers were without service. Customers without power are asked to call customer service at 800-655-4555. Initially, an estimated 5,000 customers were without service in the areas of Chino Hills, Chino, La Habra, Diamond Bar and Pomona. Customers currently without service may be without power until sometime tonight.

-- A fire was reported at SCE's substation in La Habra, but no major damage was reported.

-- The earthquake was felt at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station site. There were no safety issues reported and no indications of any damage. The plant continues to operate normally.

-- SCE reports no employee injuries as a result of the earthquake.

-- SCE crews are conducting damage assessments to determine what repairs are needed to restore service to affected customers.

-- SCE's transmission and generation facilities were not affected by the earthquake and continue to operate normally.

Safety Tips

SCE reminds its customers of the following electrical safety tips as a result of today's earthquake.

-- Never touch or try to move a downed power line because of the danger of electrocution. Call SCE at (800) 611-1911 and your local police and fire officials for assistance.

-- Watch for traffic signals that may be out. Approach uncontrolled intersections as four-way stops.

-- Make sure you have a battery-operated radio and flashlights.

-- Do not rely on candles for lighting during a power outage because they pose a significant fire hazard.

-- Turn off and unplug any unnecessary electrical equipment, especially sensitive electronic equipment.

-- Do not use equipment designed for outdoor cooking indoors. Such equipment can emit carbon monoxide and other toxic gases.

-- If you use a generator, place it outdoors and plug individual appliances directly into the generator, using a heavy-duty extension cord. Connecting generators directly to household circuits creates "backfeed," which is dangerous to repair crews.

-- During an outage, turn off unattended electrical appliances and devices to avoid possible hazards when service is restored.