Barstow Article in New York Times Sun. Nov. 30 Not Supported by Facts of Gen. McCaffrey’s Focus on Improving National Security – Statement by BR McCaffrey Associates, LLC
Here are the facts:
1st: General McCaffrey has been absolutely committed to objective, non-partisan public commentary on national security issues since “911″. He is proud of his association with NBC. His on-air commentary is based solely on his personal convictions and experience.
2nd: Check Google for the association of Rumsfeld and McCaffrey. You will find 14,000 hits nearly all hostile to the arrogance and mismanagement of the Rumsfeld War on Terror.
Hardly the stuff of someone “shilling” for the Pentagon. Hardly the actions of someone trying to ingratiate himself with DOD contracting authorities on behalf of his business interests.
General McCaffrey is not a lobbyist. His focus in business is on understanding and explaining the national policy environment. When he sees a concept that would support military interests – he does, of course, recommend it to national defense leaders.
3rd: General McCaffrey was not part of the Pentagon spin machine. He was persona non grata with the Pentagon public affairs effort:
– McCaffrey’s critical OP-ED’s continued. On
– On 13 December in the Washington Post his OP-ED noted that, “We are in a very difficult position created by a micro-managed Rumsfeld war team that has been incompetent, arrogant, and in denial.”
– During the first 18 months of the war on terror there were widespread, systematic abuses of detainees under US control in
– Is it related to General McCaffrey’s
– The leadership of Secretary
– Is it related to his objective and hard hitting West Point academic report of
– Is it related to his public expression of admiration for the dramatic change in leadership in national security from the moment Secretary of Defense
– Is that why the first
5th: Visit www.mccaffreyassociates.com and read General McCaffrey’s West Point academic After Action Reports from his trips to
6th: General McCaffrey is an expert on national security. He is not a reporter. He is an American war hero from
He routinely is invited to testify to Congress on national security issues. He interacts with the intelligence community, foreign governments, academia, the defense industry, and all elements of the US Armed Forces. He is widely respected as a public commentator of great integrity and balanced views.
Mr. Barstow has tried to create a false picture. The real General McCaffrey is explained by his 37 years of public service to include four combat tours – which he continues now as a businessman, academic lecturer and writer, and media national security expert.
ADDITIONAL PERSONAL STATEMENT BY GEN.
My public media commentary on the war labeled me as an early and serious critic of Rumsfeld arrogance and mismanagement of operations in
Contact: Robert Weiner Associates ATTN Bob Weiner
Tel. 301-283-0821 or Cell 202-329-1700