OSRAM SYLVANIA First Annual ‘Socket Survey’ Reveals 80 Percent of Americans in the Dark on Light Bulb Phase Out
First Annualized National Lighting Survey Spotlights Need to Educate Americans on Energy-Efficient Options
The survey comes on the horizon of the first anniversary of the 2007 Clean Energy Act, passed by the U.S. Congress last December. The law established efficiency standards for lighting, phasing out the majority of inefficient light bulbs by 2014 – a move rendering Thomas Edison’s iconic incandescent bulb essentially obsolete and encouraging the transition to more efficient and sustainable bulbs.
Lighting accounts for one-fifth of U.S. energy consumption, according to the Department of Energy, cementing the
“The survey results are a call-to-action for a comprehensive awareness campaign to help consumers make the transition from traditional light bulbs to newer technologies, such as LEDs and CFLs,” said
Additional findings of the OSRAM SYLVANIA Socket Survey include:
GOING “GREEN” CONSENSUS
Despite a lack of knowledge regarding the incandescent phase out, most Americans are adopting a “green” mindset and realizing cost-savings
- Energy efficiency ranks as a key factor, with 88 percent considering how much energy the bulb uses before purchasing a light bulb.
- Most consumers (85 percent) are aware that CFLs use less energy than incandescent bulbs; Seventy-seven percent also know CFLs last 10 times longer than traditional light bulbs
- Over the lifetime of the bulb, 78 percent believe that CFLs are less expensive than traditional light bulbs
While advances in lighting technologies have been prolific in recent years, consumers are eager to catch on to the evolution beyond the bulb
- Sixty-eight percent are early adopters of compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL) with 76 willing to switch to CFLs in the future
- Only 21 percent of Americans have light emitting diodes (LEDs), which are widely touted as the ultimate successor to traditional light bulbs, in their homes.
The survey was conducted over a three-day period in
About OSRAM SYLVANIA
OSRAM SYLVANIA is a leader in lighting solutions and specialty products that feature innovative design and energy saving technology. The company sells products for homes, businesses and vehicles primarily under the SYLVANIA brand name, and also under the OSRAM brand. Headquartered in
SOURCE OSRAM SYLVANIA