CURRENT(R) Named Technology Pioneer 2009 by World Economic Forum
Selected based on Innovation, Societal Impact and Visionary Leadership
The CURRENT Smart Grid(TM) solution converts the traditional electric grid into an intelligent network by adding sensing, low latency communications and analytic software to the electric distribution system. Smart Grid systems have the potential to be the single largest contributor to a solution for global warming available today, as the International Energy Agency reports that electric power generation produces 41 percent of total worldwide energy related CO2 emissions. The Electric Power Research Institute has estimated that a Smart Grid could reduce CO2 emissions from electric power by up to 25 percent.
“The World Economic Forum is recognized as a thought leader throughout the world and we are proud to have been chosen for this award,” said
CURRENT is involved in the leading Smart Grid projects around the world including with Xcel Energy in Smart Grid City(TM) in
CURRENT was selected as a Technology Pioneer after being evaluated by 44 global technology experts in a highly competitive process based on five criteria:
- Innovation: The company must be truly innovative with a significant investment in R&D.
- Potential impact: The company must have the potential to have a substantial long-term impact on business and society in the future.
- Growth and sustainability: The company should demonstrate the potential to be a long-term market leader with well-formulated plans for future development and growth.
- Proof of concept: The company must have a product on the market or have proven practical applications of the technology.
- Leadership: The company must have visionary leadership that plays a critical role in driving the company towards reaching its goals.
The Technology Pioneers program is run by the World Economic Forum with guidance from Accel Partners, BT, KPMG and Kudelski Group. Technology Pioneers 2009 are invited to participate in the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2009 in Davos-Klosters,
About World Economic Forum (www.weforum.org)
The World Economic Forum is an independent international organization committed to improving the state of the world by engaging leaders in partnerships to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Incorporated as a foundation in 1971, and based in
About CURRENT (www.currentgroup.com)
CURRENT provides electric utilities a Smart Grid solution that increases the efficiency and reliability of the electric grid while reducing the environmental impact of electric usage. CURRENT’s scalable solution combines advanced sensing technology, two-way low latency communications and enterprise analysis software and related services to provide location-specific, real-time actionable data that is easily integrated into a utility’s existing IT infrastructure.
CURRENT, a privately held company based in
SOURCE CURRENT Group, LLC