Drivers Beware of Wet Weather
As Midpoint of Winter,
“Ninety percent of driving decisions are based on clear vision,” says
Clear visibility through the use of effective wiper blades and a windshield treatment while driving can improve reaction times by up to a full second in poor weather conditions. When traveling at 60mph, a full second can equate to 100 feet and may be the difference in avoiding a potential accident.(3)
To raise awareness around the issues of clear vision and safe driving, Rain-X is teaming up with
- Conduct a regular walk around your vehicle, checking its lights, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid and wiper blades regularly
- Ensure that your tires are properly inflated and have sufficient tread
- As the temperature drops, keep your gas tank at least half full; the extra gas helps reduce condensation that can plug your fuel line with ice and stall your engine in cooler weather
- Create an emergency pack of items such as a blanket, a first aid kit, snacks, bottled water, an ice scraper, a flashlight and a bag of kitty litter, and keep it in your vehicle. Such items can be critical during roadside emergencies in heavy rain or snow storms.
“In addition to keeping these emergency items in the vehicle, drivers should adjust their driving habits in inclement weather,” continues DeVere. “Drivers should slow down when the roadways are wet, leave extra distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you, and be sure to use signals when changing lanes to indicate your intentions. Utilizing these quick and easy safety tips can help keep everyone safer on the roads.”
The Ask Patty.com, Inc. website and blog is a safe place for women to get advice on car purchases, maintenance and other automotive related topics. Women can shop for vehicles at our network of certified female friendly dealerships across the U.S.
AskPatty.com is a member and 2008 corporate sponsor of the Women’s Automotive Association International based in
AskPatty.com is partnered with AutoTrader.com, NIADA, DriverTv.com, MyCarPage.com, MyAutoLoan, Aware and BlogHer.com.
Rain-X products are produced and marketed by Shell Lubricants. The term ‘Shell Lubricants’ collectively refers to the Shell Group companies that are engaged in the lubricants business. Shell lubricants companies are global leaders in lubricants and operate in approximately 120 countries worldwide. They manufacture and blend products for use in a range of applications from consumer motoring to food processing and heavy industry to commercial transport. The Shell portfolio of top quality lubricant brands includes Pennzoil(R), Quaker State(R), FormulaShell(R), Shell Tellus(R), Shell Cassida(R), Shell ROTELLA(R) T, Shell Spirax(R) and a portfolio of car care products and Jiffy Lube(R) services.
(1) www.sciencedaily.com - Bad Weather Drivers, 06/08 (2) Survey of licensed drivers 18 years and older, October 2007. (3) AAA