Sen. Bernard Sanders Votes to Protect America’s Kids from Tobacco
Thanks to Senator Sanders’s leadership, we are a critical step closer to enacting this historic legislation to protect our children from tobacco addiction and save lives. We look forward to working with Senator Sanders to bring this bill before the full Senate and enact it into law in the near future. FDA regulation of tobacco products, the nation’s number one cause of preventable death, is an essential step toward improving health and reducing health care costs in
This legislation has strong, bipartisan support in Congress and across the nation. The House of Representatives on
Tobacco use kills more than 400,000 Americans and costs the nation
This legislation would grant the FDA the authority and resources to regulate the manufacturing, marketing and sale of tobacco products. Among other things, it would:
- Restrict tobacco advertising and promotions, especially to children.
- Stop illegal sales of tobacco products to children.
- Require larger, more effective health warnings on tobacco packages and advertising.
- Ban misleading health claims such as “light” and “low-tar” and strictly regulate all health claims about tobacco products to ensure they are scientifically proven and do not discourage current tobacco users from quitting or encourage new users to start.
- Require tobacco companies to disclose the contents of tobacco products, as well as changes in products and research about their health effects.
- Empower the FDA to require changes in tobacco products, such as the removal or reduction of harmful ingredients or the reduction of nicotine levels.
- Fully fund the FDA’s new tobacco-related responsibilities with a user fee on tobacco companies so no resources are taken from the FDA’s current work.
SOURCE Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids