Long Island Organizations Honored for Commitment to Cleaner Air
ISLANDIA, N.Y., Oct. 22 /PRNewswire/ — Clean Air NY, an initiative sponsored by the New York State Department of Transportation in support of downstate New York air-quality efforts, will honor Long Island organizations Friday at the Long Island Go Green Environmental & Energy Conference. The seven Long Island-based Clean Air Champions were chosen for their commitment to improving air quality by reducing vehicle miles traveled by their employees. According to the American Lung Association, 65 percent of New York State residents live in counties where air pollution levels endanger lives. Automobile exhaust is a major contributor to ozone and particle pollution.
Organizations receiving recognition as Clean Air Champions include:
- Adelphi University of Garden City, Nassau County, for the extraordinary growth of their free shuttle service, as well as their parking incentives for carpoolers.
- BAE Systems of Greenlawn, Suffolk County, for their employee carpool program and support for mass transit and bicycle riders.
- Broadridge Financial Solutions, Inc. of Edgewood, Suffolk County, for their employee shuttle service and participation in NuRide, an incentive-based rideshare network.
- Clever Devices of Plainview, Nassau County, for offering VIP parking spaces to carpoolers and providing lunch to employees on Air Quality Action Days to ensure that they can stay indoors.
- Nassau County for their Healthy Nassau “Green Your Commute” program, which actively promotes mass transit, ridesharing and a 4-day work week. As of June 2009, 123 employees signed up for a 4-day work week, which is anticipated to cut out 12,792 vehicle trips per year.
- Wales-Darby, Inc. of Islandia, Suffolk County, for providing weekly lunch ‘n learn events during the Air Quality Action season so that employees avoid making vehicle trips for lunch, as well as their participation in NuRide.
- Winthrop University Hospital of Mineola, Nassau County, for their guaranteed ride home and pre-tax transit benefit programs.
The Long Island Go Green Environmental & Energy Conference is sponsored by the Hauppauge Industrial Association and will be held at the Islandia Marriott. The awards ceremony will take place from 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. Clean Air Champions located in the five boroughs were honored at the new Yankee Stadium earlier in the year.
Clean Air Champions in the Lower Hudson Valley region include: IBM, Northern Westchester Hospital, Verizon, Amalgamated Life Insurance Company, Nokia, Inc., BioMed Reality Trust, Inc. and Jewish Home Lifecare (Mamaroneck branch). Clean Air Champions located in the five boroughs include: New York Methodist Hospital, Jewish Home Lifecare (Bronx and Manhattan branches), SH&E, CommuterLink, Westchester Square Physical Therapy, Local 300 (Flushing branch) and United Nations Federal Credit Union.
About Clean Air NY
Clean Air NY is an initiative sponsored by the New York State Department of Transportation in support of regionwide air-quality efforts. Clean Air NY’s network of individuals and businesses believes that every person has the power to help make New York’s air healthier and reduce greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change. Clean Air NY educates the public on simple everyday changes that reduce driving and provides real-time updates on Air Quality Action Days via text messaging, e-mail and media notifications. To learn more, visit CleanAirNY.org.
SOURCE New York State Department of Transportation