Pennsylvania Equine Industry to Take Center Stage at 8th Annual Horse World Expo at PA Farm Show Complex & Expo Center
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 24 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ – Equine enthusiasts are invited to saddle up for the eighth annual Pennsylvania Horse World Expo, Feb. 25 – 28, at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center in Harrisburg.
“The equine industry is a vital part of Pennsylvania’s agricultural community,” said Agriculture Secretary Russell C. Redding. “The industry has an economic impact of more than $10 billion annually, provides more than 20,000 jobs, and is a major contributor to Pennsylvania’s top economic enterprise – agriculture.
“Pennsylvania is proud to host the Horse World Expo, which showcases this dynamic industry and helps to educate the public about the latest in equine technology, education and entertainment.”
The expo features the nation’s leading equestrian clinicians and entertainers, hosting educational seminars and exciting programs, including:
- “Theatre Equus, A Musical Equine Revue,” a professionally choreographed and scripted show in which people and horses partner to perform various routines. Shows will take place in the Large Arena at 8:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday.
- “The Wind Rider Equestrian Challenge,” in its third year, showcases adult riders from any discipline competing in a four- to five-part course to qualify for the final round that gives them the chance to pair with a star clinician and vie for the championship title. It begins with a versatility competitions clinic at noon on Thursday. Preliminary rides start at 10 a.m. on Friday, and 9 a.m. on Saturday. Finals will begin at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.
- Trick-trainer Tommie Turvey Jr., a well-known “equine extremist” and clinician, who trains horses for spectacular stunts, will present daily clinics.
- Matt McLaughlin, former head trainer of the Royal Lipizzaner Stallions and classical dressage rider, will present clinics on training piaffe, passage and Haute Ecole using Natural Horsemanship techniques as well as English riding disciplines.
More than 500 vendors will be in attendance, offering a full spectrum of equipment, supplies and information. In addition, representatives from the Pennsylvania Horse and Harness Racing Commissions will be on hand to discuss the state’s racing industry.
“In the last few years, Pennsylvania has made significant investments in the equine industry, which is making the commonwealth one of the premiere states in the nation to raise, race and enjoy horses,” said Redding.
Pennsylvania Horse World Expo hours are:
- Thursday, Feb. 25, noon – 8 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 26, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 27, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb. 28, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Daily admission is $12 for adults and $6 for children ages 7-12. Children under age seven are admitted free. Tickets for the Theatre Equus start at $12 and are available at the show while supplies last. Parking is $8.
For more information and a complete schedule of events, visit www.horseworldexpo.com.
For more information on the Pennsylvania Horse Racing Commission, visit www.agriculture.state.pa.us, click on “Bureaus, Commissions and Councils” and select “Pennsylvania Racing Commission.”
Media contact: Justin Fleming, 717-787-5085
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture