Mohawk’s Top Ten Green Design Trends for 2010
DALTON, Ga., April 7 /PRNewswire/ — Consumer demand for green home products continues to grow, and as a result, Mohawk Industries, the leader in recycled and renewable flooring, has compiled 10 Green Design Trends for 2010. The company tapped design gurus Robin Wilson, a pioneer in the eco-friendly design sector, and Vickie Gilstrap, vice president of color and design for Mohawk’s Residential Business, to help consumers go green in their homes without sacrificing style.
- Choose carpet made from renewable or recycled materials. Did you know they can make carpet out of corn sugar? And that one out of every four recycled plastic bottles is made into carpet? That’s more than 3 billion bottles each year!
- Create a cozy space by painting an accent wall in a warm earth tone like cocoa or cinnamon. Choose paint that is non-toxic and contains no- or low- volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Use certified organic fabrics to create window treatments or accent pillows. You’ll be surprised at the variety of colors and patterns available.
- When choosing hardwood flooring, consider using reclaimed wood to add a touch of antique natural beauty.
- Create a cohesive look by matching countertops in your kitchen and bathroom. Look for those made from recycled glass, ceramic or sustainable bamboo.
- Breathe new life into vintage pieces by pairing them with fresh accessories. Reupholster an old arm chair or add an accent pillow to give it a fresh, new look.
- Install dimmable compact fluorescent lights, which can consume up to 75% less electricity and last 10 times longer than standard incandescent bulbs.
- Refresh the entire look of your bathroom with a new shower curtain. Opt for nylon, which is one of the more eco-friendly materials available.
- Give your kitchen a facelift by installing new faucets. Look for fixtures with the WaterSense label, which can save the average household more than 500 gallons of water each year, and hundreds of dollars in utility bills.
- Transform your bedroom with a new eco-friendly bedding set. Duvets, shams and linens are available in organic materials and recycled yarn.
“Consumers today are demanding products that are green as well as beautifully designed,” says Robin Wilson. “It is exciting to see that supply and demand principles are at work. There are many beautiful, eco-friendly products available now that weren’t on the market 18 months ago. I’m especially impressed with flooring options from companies like Mohawk. There is a beautiful and environmentally responsible flooring product for everyone, regardless of their personal style.”
Wilson is the lead designer for The Kennedy Green House, a project for the private residence of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. The home showcases the latest in green technologies, sustainable building practices and healthy home initiatives. Eco-friendly Mohawk hardwood floors featuring PureBondÃ‚® technology and UniclicÃ‚® technology were used in the home’s bedrooms. PureBond technology is a new innovation that replaces urea-formaldehyde adhesives traditionally used in the manufacture of composite wood products, and UniclicÃ‚® technology is a glueless installation system for hardwood floors.
Mohawk has made its mark as the leader in recycled and renewable flooring, and was recently recognized as one of the greenest companies in the United States according to a ranking in Newsweek Magazine. The company is the largest recycler in the industry diverting more than three billion pounds of pre- and post-consumer waste from landfills each year. More than 500 Mohawk products currently contain recycled material. From recycling polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles into EverStrand carpeting to transforming corn sugar into SmartStrandÃ‚® with DuPont(TM) SoronaÃ‚® carpeting and dismantled buildings into hardwood flooring and more, Mohawk is committed to offering environmentally responsible, stylish products. To learn more, visit www.mohawkflooring.com.
About Mohawk Industries
Mohawk is a leading supplier of flooring for both residential and commercial applications. Mohawk offers a complete selection of broadloom carpet, ceramic tile, laminate, wood, stone, vinyl, rugs and other home products. These products are marketed under the premier brands in the industry, which include Mohawk, Karastan, Ralph Lauren, Lees, Bigelow, Dal-Tile, American Olean, Quick-Step, Columbia and Century. Mohawk’s unique merchandising and marketing assist our customers in creating the consumers’ dream. Mohawk provides a premium level of service with its own trucking fleet and over 250 local distribution locations.
*Purebond is a registered trademark of Columbia Forest Products Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Used under License.
SOURCE Mohawk Industries