Depot and Arsenal Executive Leadership Program Announces 2010 Corporate Residency Matches
CHAPEL HILL, N.C., April 20 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The Depot and Arsenal Executive Leadership Program (DAELP) is an executive development program for commanders and senior civilian leaders primarily serving within the United States Army’s Depot and Arsenal facilities. This Joint program also serves leaders from the other military branches including the U.S. Coast Guard. The participants of the seventh offering of the DAELP have been placed with leading private sector firms and paired with executive mentors for a corporate residency. During these two-four week residencies, beginning in late February and concluding in early May, they interact in cross-functional roles with executives and managers of host operating companies. Established in 2003 by the U.S. Army Materiel Command (AMC), DAELP is organized and administered by the Institute for Defense and Business (IDB) and delivered in conjunction with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill‘s Kenan-Flagler Business School.
“The Department of Defense often talks about ‘Best Business Practices’ and benchmarking DoD industrial processes against the best industry metrics. The challenge is to learn what those practices are and apply them to Department activities. The Depot and Arsenal Executive Leadership Program provides a unique opportunity to learn and participate in the best practices in a study-work program designed for DoD and industry leadership,” noted General Paul J. Kern, a former Commanding General of the U.S. Army Materiel Command.
DAELP provides participants with graduate level management concepts as well as specific tactics and strategies for effective leadership of large industrial complexes. The comprehensive educational experience, spanning six months, is comprised of the following elements:
- Three weeks of in-person academic instruction at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education;
- A one-week series of benchmarking site visits and a value stream mapping exercise to high-performing depot and arsenal facilities as well as leading corporations;
- An online Lean Six Sigma Champion certification offered in partnership with North Carolina State University; and
- A two-four week residency with leading private and public sector organizations.
The private and public sector residencies serve as the integrative capstone for the program, allowing substantive information exchanges with executives across functional areas. This enables participants to identify leading practices that they can adapt and implement at their respective organizations to cut costs and improve efficiency and effectiveness. Below is a list of the 2010 DAELP participants along with their corporate residency hosts:
- COL Franz Amann, Commander, Pine Bluff Arsenal – ATK and The Boeing Company*
- Mr. Allen Anderson, Production Innovation Department Head, USMC Maintenance Center – Barstow — AM General & Horizon Lines*
- CAPT John Bragaw, Deputy Chief, Coast Guard Industrial Yard Manager – Northrop Grumman Corporation & Maersk Line, Ltd.*
- COL Christopher Carlile, Director, U.S. Army Unmanned Aircraft Systems Center of Excellence – General Electric & Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation*
- Mr. Mark Crawford, Director for Public Works, Red River Army Depot – Robbins-Gioia & Lockheed Martin Corporation*
- LTC Joseph Dalessio, Commander, Sierra Army Depot – Federal Express & SAS Institute, Inc.*
- Mr. Edward Flinn, Director of Science and Engineering, Rock Island Arsenal – Alcoa Defense
- COL Charles Gibson, Commander, Tobyhanna Army Depot – Harris Corporation
- Mr. Jeffery Gillette, Financial Manager, Tooele Army Depot – ATK & General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems
- Mr. Thomas Goonan, Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Army Natick Soldier Support Center – Battelle*
- Ms. Lorraine Hunt, Deputy Director for Communications Systems Directorate, Tobyhanna Army Depot – ITT Communication Systems & AAI*
- Col Randy Lawson, Director of Logistics, Special Operations Command AFRICOM – Mack Tracks, Inc. & AM General*
- Mr. Michael Lockard, Director for Maintenance – Production, Red River Army Depot – BAE Land Systems & Simpler Consulting, Inc.*
- Mr. Jerry Mengelkoch, Director, Maintenance Management Center, Marine Corps Logistic Command – 3M & Force Protection Industries*
- Mr. Richard Nesbitt, Deputy to the Commander, Tooele Army Depot – General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products
- Mr. Dean Newsome, Transformation Manager, Defense Logistics Agency – Sonoco Products Co. & Schneider National, Inc.*
- COL Cheri Provancha, Commander, Letterkenny Army Depot – Lockheed Martin Corporation & Oshkosh Defense*
- Mr. William Rosen, Attorney, Army Materiel Command – The Boeing Company & U.S. Chamber of Commerce*
- Mr. Jeffery Simmons, Director of Production, Anniston Army Depot – Caterpillar
- Ms. Nadine Stoler, Chief of the LMP Office, Letterkenny Army Depot – International Business Machines & AAI*
- Mr. Phillip Trued, Chief of Staff, Anniston Army Depot – City of Huntsville
- Mr. Sal Reza, Director Operations, Southwest Group, Robbins-Gioia – U.S. Navy, Fleet Readiness Center – East & U.S. Coast Guard Aviation Logistics Center – Elizabeth City*
- Mr. Dave Whitehouse, Senior Director, Operations, General Dynamics – Rock Island Arsenal & Red River Army Depot*
*Indicates a split residency where the participant spends two weeks with each corporation listed.
Following the completion of these corporate residencies, participants will brief the leadership of AMC regarding their corporate residency learning experience, with an emphasis on best practice replication.
The Institute for Defense and Business (IDB) is a non-profit research and education institute formed in 1997 by UNC-Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina. The IDB offers a series of educational programs for the military, government, non-governmental agencies, and private industry, in the areas of logistics, operations, life cycle management, organizational change, and economic stabilization.
More information is available at www.idb.org or contact DAELP Program Director, LtCol. Ted Sturgeon, USMC (Ret.) at 919-969-8008 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Ms. Theresa Esposto, Director Industry Relations, at 919-969-8008 or Esposto@idb.org.
SOURCE Institute for Defense and Business