Depot and Arsenal Executive Leadership Program Announces 2010 Graduates
CHAPEL HILL, N.C., May 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The Depot and Arsenal Executive Leadership Program (DAELP) recognized its seventh class of graduates on May 20, 2010 at The Kenan Institute, on the University of North Carolina Campus in Chapel Hill, NC. Major General Kevin A. Leonard, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics and Operations of the U.S. Army Materiel Command, delivered the key note address. The event was attended by senior military officials, corporate leaders and faculty who support and sponsor the program. DAELP is an executive development program for commanders and senior civilian leaders primarily serving within the United States Army’s depot and arsenal facilities, and also private sector executives. This Joint program also serves leaders from the other military branches including the U.S. Coast Guard. Established in 2003 by the U.S. Army Materiel Command (AMC), DAELP is organized and administered by the Institute for Defense and Business (IDB) and delivered in conjunction with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill‘s Kenan-Flagler Business School.
When relating to the responsiveness of the Nation’s depots and arsenals and their partners in industry to urgent military requirements during the height of the Iraq War, MG Leonard said, “DAELP provides the participants with tremendous value, giving them the resources they need to anticipate operational needs, respond to crises and provide continuity for their employees and their organizations.”
The graduates of DAELP have completed a six month comprehensive educational experience which is comprised of the following elements:
- Three weeks of in-residence academic instruction at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education;
- A one-week series of benchmarking site visits and a value stream mapping exercise at joint military service depot and arsenal facilities as well as leading corporations;
- An online Lean Six Sigma Champion certification offered in partnership with North Carolina State University; and
- An extensive residency with leading private and public sector organizations.
The private and public sector residencies serve as the integrative capstone for the program, allowing substantive information exchanges focused on best practice replication with executives across functional areas. Upon completion of their corporate residency, the participants returned for the final session at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which included briefing Major General Kevin A. Leonard and IDB Executive Fellows: VADM Walter B. Massenburg, USN (Ret.) former Commander Naval Air Systems Command and RADM Dale G. Gabel, USCG (Ret.) former Commander, First Coast Guard District, as well as program facility advisors on their corporate residency learning experience.
Below is a list of the 2010 DAELP graduating class:
- COL Franz Amann, Commander, Pine Bluff Arsenal
- Mr. Allen Anderson, Production Innovation Department Head, USMC Maintenance Center – Barstow
- CAPT John Bragaw, Deputy Chief, Coast Guard Industrial Yard Manager
- COL Christopher Carlile, Director, U.S. Army Unmanned Aircraft Systems Center of Excellence
- Mr. Mark Crawford, Director for Public Works, Red River Army Depot
- LTC Joseph Dalessio, Commander, Sierra Army Depot
- Mr. Edward Flinn, Director of Science and Engineering, Rock Island Arsenal
- COL Charles Gibson, Commander, Tobyhanna Army Depot
- Mr. Jeffery Gillette, Financial Manager, Tooele Army Depot
- Mr. Thomas Goonan, Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Army Natick Soldier Support Center
- Ms. Lorraine Hunt, Deputy Director for Communications Systems Directorate, Tobyhanna Army Depot
- Col Randy Lawson, Director of Logistics, Special Operations Command AFRICOM
- Mr. Michael Lockard, Director for Maintenance – Production, Red River Army Depot
- Mr. Jerry Mengelkoch, Director, Maintenance Management Center, Marine Corps Logistic Command
- Mr. Richard Nesbitt, Deputy to the Commander, Tooele Army Depot
- Mr. Dean Newsome, Transformation Manager, Defense Logistics Agency
- COL Cheri Provancha, Commander, Letterkenny Army Depot
- Mr. William Rosen, Attorney, Army Materiel Command
- Mr. Jeffery Simmons, Director of Production, Anniston Army Depot
- Ms. Nadine Stoler, Chief of the LMP Office, Letterkenny Army Depot
- Mr. Phillip Trued, Chief of Staff, Anniston Army Depot
- Mr. Sal Reza, Director Operations, Southwest Group, Robbins-Gioia
- Mr. Dave Whitehouse, Senior Director, Operations, General Dynamics
The Institute for Defense and Business (IDB) is a non-profit research and education institute formed in 1997 by UNC-Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina. The IDB offers a series of educational programs for the military, government, non-governmental agencies, and private industry, in the areas of logistics, operations, life cycle management, organizational change, and economic stabilization.
More information is available at www.idb.org or contact DAELP Program Director, LtCol. Ted Sturgeon, USMC (Ret.) at 919-969-8008 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Ms. Theresa Esposto, Director Industry Relations, at 919-969-8008 or Esposto@idb.org.
SOURCE Institute for Defense and Business