BSI’s Business Continuity Management Standard Adopted by DHS
RESTON, Va., June 21 /PRNewswire/ — BSI announces that its Business Continuity Management standard, BS 25999, has been adopted by the Department of Homeland Security as one of the final standards for the Voluntary Private Sector Preparedness Accreditation and Certification Program (PS-Prep). The program aims to enhance nationwide resilience by encouraging private sector preparedness.
DHS’s adoption of BSI’s BS 25999 standard as one of only three standards approved for the PS-Prep program represents a significant milestone in the implementation of a recommendation from the 9/11 Commission to improve private sector preparedness for disasters and emergencies. According to the Commission’s report, “the private sector controls 85 percent of the nation’s critical infrastructure,” making preparedness essential to effective recovery in the event of a major incident.
“BS 25999 provides the business resilience and consumer confidence essential to rapidly overcome any unplanned interruption of commercial operations. BSI is proud to be a part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s effort to improve disaster and emergency preparedness in the private sector,” said Todd VanderVen, President, BSI Americas. “With BS 25999, businesses will be able to better plan for the unexpected and be well equipped to effectively minimize business disruption.”
BS 25999 is the internationally recognized standard for Business Continuity Management that helps organizations minimize the risks involved in the event of disruption of business. It helps businesses develop resilience and recovery strategies that protect staff, preserve the organization’s reputation and provide the ability to continue operating during the most challenging and exceptional circumstances.
About BSI Group
BSI Group is a global independent business services organization that inspires confidence and delivers assurance to over 80,000 customers with standards-based solutions. Originating as the world’s first national standards body, BSI has over 2,500 staff operating in over 140 countries through more than 50 global offices. BSI’s key offerings are:
- The development and sale of private, national and international standards and supporting information that promote and share best practice
- Second and third-party management systems assessment and certification in all critical areas of management disciplines
- Testing and certification of services and products for KitemarkÃ‚® and CE marking to UK, European and international standards. BSI is a Notified Body for 15 New Approach EU Directives.
- Certification of high-risk, complex medical devices
- Performance management software solutions
- Supply chain security solutions which identify and mitigate risks in supply chains
- Training services in support of standards implementation and business best practice.
For further information please visit www.bsiamerica.com.
Shereen Abuzobaa Vice President Marketing BSI Reston, VA, USA 1 800-862-4977