Annual Inspection Ensures Maximum Furnace Safety, Efficiency
CLEVELAND, Sept. 17 /PRNewswire/ — Dominion East Ohio reminds customers that an annual furnace inspection by a qualified, reputable heating contractor can ensure that they receive maximum winter heating safety, comfort and efficiency.
Besides helping customers receive maximum value for their heating dollars, an annual appliance inspection can prevent any potential carbon monoxide problems. Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors provide a second line of defense, but they should not be used as a substitute for an annual furnace inspection. Combined with an annual inspection, however, a single CO detector, placed in the sleeping area of a home offers additional peace of mind.
In addition to an annual inspection, customers should change furnace filters according to the manufacturer’s instructions, to receive the best possible value for their heating dollars. For a listing of local contractors, customers can call the Comfort Line at 1-800-427-1471 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
While checking a furnace, the contractor should make a visual inspection of all vents, heat exchangers and motors. A thorough inspection should include:
- Lubricating the blower bearings and blower motor as recommended by the manufacturer;
- Visually inspecting all vents, the heat exchanger and filters;
- Checking the pilot light if the furnace has one;
- Clearing the furnace area of any dust or combustible materials;
- Cleaning dust from the blower compartment;
- Testing the thermostat to ensure the heating system works as it should;
- Checking the safety components on the heating equipment, such as limit controls and pilot safety; and
- Checking the flue to ensure it is clean and open. Any fuel that does not burn completely can create harmful levels of carbon monoxide. The gas can collect in a home if a fuel-burning appliance is not working or venting properly.
Dominion is one of the nation’s largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 27,600 megawatts of generation. Dominion operates the nation’s largest natural gas storage system and serves retail energy customers in 12 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company’s website at www.dom.com.
SOURCE Dominion East Ohio