Classroom School Uniforms Unveils 2010 NSBA School Uniform Survey
CHATSWORTH, Calif., Oct. 4 /PRNewswire/ — The results of Classroom School Uniforms’ 2010 National School Board Association (NSBA) School Uniform Survey indicate significant growth in the number of public schools using school uniforms or standardized dress. The survey also shows an increase in the number of mandatory and district-wide programs over voluntary and individual campus choice. Academic and social outcomes among schools using dress codes or uniforms are shown to be increasingly positive.
“This survey reinforces the importance of school uniform or dress code programs as a tool for school improvement,” says Andy Beattie, General Manager of Classroom School Uniforms.
Classroom surveyed members of the NSBA on school uniforms and dress code policies. Survey findings are based on 112 respondents or 2.2%.
Survey findings include:
- 81% of responding NSBA members agreed that what a student wears to school is an important issue.
- 54% of respondents stated they have a uniform, standardized dress, or dress code program – up from 41% in 2007, the last year the survey was conducted.
- Of the 54%, more of the policies are district-wide (58.5%), rather than campus choice (41.5%). Of those schools with district-wide policies, 78% of schools with uniforms programs expect mandatory participation.
- 76% of NSBA respondents felt their programs were successful.
- 86% of respondents said they believed that standardized dress reduced peer pressure, 76% felt it increased student focus, 74% felt it reduced disciplinary issues and 60% felt it prevented gang affiliation.
- 56% of respondents also felt uniforms enhanced a school’s image.
“As a leader in the industry, it’s our responsibility to provide educators with information. The survey, along with Classroom’s other proprietary materials, are designed to aid school leaders in making informed decisions on the topic,” adds Beattie.
Survey results can be found at www.classroomuniforms.com.
About Strategic Partners, Inc.
Strategic Partners, Inc. is a recognized leader in the design and manufacturing of school, medical, and footwear uniform categories. The company manufactures Classroom School Uniforms which are sold to specialty retailers across the nation. Classroom provides school uniform expertise to public and private school educators and retailers, and information is available at classroomuniforms.com or by calling 888-593-6616. The corporation’s home office is in Chatsworth, California, with a state-of-the-art distribution center in Dallas, Texas.
Media Contact Beth Silver Doubet Consulting 212.472.4340 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Classroom School Uniforms