Quantcast

Final Barrier Devices Can Treat Lead in New York Homes

November 9, 2010

LISLE, Ill., Nov. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire/ — A new report from the city of New York that lead may be present in the pipes of older buildings provides more reason for residents to consider using “final barrier” technology in their homes, according to the Water Quality Association.

According to a report in ConsumerAffairs.com, the city is telling residents that older buildings in New York have lead pipes, or pipes with lead fixtures, which can impact the tap water of private homes by introducing lead into water that has been sitting in the pipes for several hours or more.

“This report is one more piece of evidence to consumers that in-home technology should be utilized as a final barrier to contamination,” said Peter J. Censky, executive director of WQA.

Final barrier technology refers to devices and systems installed at the point of water use. These include activated carbon, ion exchange resins, membranes (reverse osmosis, nanofiltration, and ultra- and micro- filtration), and selective media such as arsenic removal, ozone, distillation, etc.

Final barrier technology provides an effective and cost-efficient way to treat water, Censky said. He noted that only about 1% of centrally treated water is consumed by people; to treat the other 99 percent to final barrier standards is expensive.

WQA’s Gold Seal product certification offers a scientific method for consumers to ensure the effectiveness of the devices they purchase. Product testing follows guidelines developed by ANSI/NSF, the most respected standards-development agency in the nation. Each technology is tested according to different standards. Those interested should visit wqa.org and click on Gold Seal.

At the same time science and technology is constantly discovering more potential contaminants in water supplies – such as pharmaceuticals and endocrine disrupters – including some in water that has been centrally treated. Final barrier treatment can stop many elements that come into the home, even after water has been centrally treated.

According to the report, “as part of the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act, DEP conducts tap water testing at a sample of homes in New York City known to have lead service lines or lead solder in pipes. The results of this year’s sampling show an increase in the number of samples above 15 parts per billion (ppb), the EPA standard for lead in water.”

This year’s test results show that 14 percent (30 samples) of 222 samples were elevated. Whenever more than 10 percent of the samples exceed 15 ppb, EPA requires public notification by the water supplier. New York City is not unique in experiencing this. Cities such as Boston, Washington DC, Providence, and Portland, Oregon have all exceeded the action threshold in the past decade.

CONTACT: David Loveday of the Water Quality Association, +1-630-505-0160

SOURCE Water Quality Association


Source: newswire



comments powered by Disqus