Kimpton Launches National EarthCare Week Celebration
SAN FRANCISCO, March 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Honoring its 30 year commitment to environmental responsibility and care, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is bringing Earth Day to new heights with the launch of Kimpton EarthCare Week, from April 15 – 22, 2011. From pop-up eco art exhibits to organic spa packages and recycling drives, this national celebration builds upon Kimpton’s devotion to environmental responsibility and will inspire guests to give back to local communities when they stay, eat and play with Kimpton. Community members, guests and diners can participate in Kimpton EarthCare Week events in 24 cities nationwide, including:
- Pop-Up Eco Art Exhibits: Select hotels will partner with local artists to create pop-up exhibits in hotel lobbies that feature incredible artwork made from recycled materials. Artists will be on-site at scheduled wine hours during Kimpton EarthCare Week to discuss their work with visitors.
- National Eco Step Challenge: All Kimpton hotels will make available pedometers at the front desk and challenge guests (and their pets) to pound the pavement and rack up steps to win playful prizes at wine hour, daily during Kimpton EarthCare Week.
- Lights Out Power Hours: All Kimpton hotels will host wine hour by candlelight to conserve energy for two hours on Earth Day, April 22.
- Farmer’s Market Foraging: Select Kimpton Restaurant chefs will offer farmer’s market excursions and cooking demonstrations that celebrate the season’s bounty. Diners can like their favorite Kimpton Restaurants on Facebook for detailed event information.
- Recycle Round-up: To kick off the “Recycle Round-up” and spur participation, Kimpton employees will dress up in cowboy attire and invite the community to lasso up their unwanted computer equipment and bring them to recycle centers at designated Kimpton hotels on April 18 – 20 between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Earth Day Fundraising Events: On April 21, many Kimpton hotels in more than 20 cities across the country will host eco-themed events to raise funds for Kimpton’s longtime non-profit partners, The Nature Conservancy and Trust for Public Land.
- Organic Restaurant Menus: During Kimpton EarthCare Week, every individual Kimpton restaurant will offer its own special organic menu highlighting local ingredients and flavors.
- Community Eco Audit: On April 20, Kimpton engineers and eco champions in every Kimpton city will work with local organizations such as schools, Boys and Girls Clubs of America and other organizations to perform an eco audit of the facility and offer recommendations for how to make the facility more environmentally friendly, from recycling to conserving energy.
Additionally, guests can take advantage of the following promotions throughout the entire month of April:
- “Ohhh So Organic Massage” Package: From April 1 – May 1, 2011, travelers can book an overnight stay and a 50-minute in-room signature organic Kerstin Florian massage ($135 value) for just $50 more than the best available rate (use OHHH booking code).
- Mind.Body.Spa Specials: Guests may take advantage of a 20 percent discount on all in-room spa treats for the entire month of April.
“At Kimpton, every day we devote time and energy to caring for the earth and our local communities,” said Niki Leondakis, president and chief operating officer at Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants. “This year, we’re pleased to encourage friends, guests and diners to join us for one or more of the many EarthCare Week events and activities taking place in our hotels and restaurants nationwide and help us preserve the future of our planet.”
Kimpton’s innovative EarthCare initiatives date back to the company’s inception in 1981 and include several industry firsts such as in-room recycling bins and the use of non-toxic cleaners brand-wide. Diners at Kimpton restaurants have access to increased sustainably produced wine selections on menus, can take advantage of in-house purified water through a national partnership with NaturaÃ‚® and enjoy sustainable seafood dishes in accordance with Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program. In 2010, under the direction of master sommelier Emily Wines, Kimpton introduced a Wines on Tap program at restaurants across the country to provide fresh wine by the glass, strengthen relationships with local vineyards, conserve corks and reduce waste. New initiatives that were added to Kimpton’s more than 100 daily environmental practices include converting certain paper products to Fiberstone, a tree-free, water-free, natural paper alternative and converting to printer ink with a 70/80 ratio of bio-renewable content (higher BRC than soy ink).
ABOUT KIMPTON HOTELS & RESTAURANTS
San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, a collection of boutique hotels and chef-driven restaurants in the US, is an acknowledged industry pioneer and was the first to bring the boutique hotel concept to America. Celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2011, Bill Kimpton founded the company in 1981 and today it is well-known for making travelers feel welcomed and comfortable while away from home through intuitive and unscripted customer care, stylish ambience and having a certain playfulness in its approach to programs and amenities. Privately held Kimpton operates 51 hotels and 54 restaurants in 24 cities.
SOURCE Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants