Tremco Headquarters Completes Comprehensive Green Renovation, Becomes a Showcase of Sustainable Construction Technology
BEACHWOOD, Ohio, June 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Just over a year ago, Tremco Incorporated (Tremco) began a foundation-to-roof renovation of its 40-year-old headquarters into a showcase of sustainability that would achieve LEEDÃ‚® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certification from the US Green Building Council‘s (USGBC). Tomorrow, Friday, June 17, 2011, the company marks the completion of this project with a formal unveiling and dedication of the newly renovated building to retired President Jeffrey L. Korach.
Employees, suppliers and community leaders, including Ohio Governor John Kasich, U.S. Congresswoman Betty Sutton and Beachwood Mayor Merle Gorden, are expected to attend.
“Transforming our headquarters into a high-performance building that is energy efficient, uses less water, employs renewable energy sources and reduces operating costs substantially from prior levels is a powerful statement about our commitment to developing and providing integrated, environmentally friendly construction solutions,” said Randy Korach, president of Tremco. “We have provided building owners and managers with sustainable solutions for decades, and look forward to helping our customers continue to achieve these same kinds of outcomes.”
Tremco Incorporated is owned by RPM Building Solutions Group (RPM BSG), a subsidiary of RPM International Inc. Numerous solutions were provided by companies that are a part of RPM BSG, including Canam Building Envelope Specialists (air barrier analysis); Increte Systems (decorative concrete), a division of Euclid Chemical Company, which itself makes numerous products for the concrete industry; Tremco Commercial Sealants & Waterproofing (sealants and gaskets) and Tremco Roofing and Building Maintenance (vegetated, cool and photovoltaic roofing systems). The project also incorporated solutions from RPM sister companies such as DryvitÃ‚® Systems, Inc. (OutsulationÃ‚® insulated exterior wall cladding system), Stonhard (poured-in-place epoxy flooring), and paint and paint admixtures, respectively, from Carboline and Modern Masters. Tremco Incorporated subsidiary WTI provided complete design build services for the project, which included management and training of all subcontractors.
Built in 1969-1970, the 46,000 square foot structure had grown outdated, with single-pane windows; an imbalanced HVAC system; a dark, gravel roof and other features that made it use energy inefficiently and, at times, result in an uncomfortable working environment. Rather than move to a new facility, Tremco’s leadership team decided to demonstrate its strong position in the construction industry and renovate the building itself. In turn, making the building an example of what is possible in sustainable construction. The renovation’s goals included:
- Integrating solutions from multiple RPM BSG and RPM companies;
- Reducing operational costs significantly, including double-digit decreases in energy use;
- Improving occupant comfort;
- Lowering carbon output;
- Demonstrating construction best practices;
- Achieving LEED Gold certification; and
- Being a showcase for customers and visitors.
To accomplish these objectives, Tremco incorporated sustainable features throughout the building, including:
- Four types of sustainable roofing systems from Tremco Roofing and Building Maintenance
- A vegetated roof featuring 46 species with almost 16,000 plants, including herbs the company’s cafeteria can use. The roof has low impact lighting, a pathway of recycled slate, and Tremco Roofing’s BioTray Vegetated Roof Delivery System;
- The ENERGY STARÃ‚® qualified Rock-It(TM) roof surfacing system, composed of white gravel set in white adhesive, installed beneath a rooftop photovoltaic (PV) system;
- A thin film module rooftop PV system for renewable energy; and
- A white, reflective, TPA membrane on top of the mechanical room.
- A Dryvit Outsulation PlusÃ‚® MD exterior wall system featuring Dryvit’s TerraNeo(TM) finish. The system provides an energy efficient, insulated facade and was applied directly to the existing slate, eliminating the time and potential waste of removing the facade.
- High-performance, double-pane, tinted windows that far exceed minimum energy-saving standards. Tremco Commercial Sealants & Waterproofing provided sealants, gaskets, and ProglazeÃ‚® ETA (Engineered Transition Assembly) to ensure an airtight transition from window to wall.
- A wind turbine installed on the property to help generate electricity; the wind turbine and PV system are expected to generate 10-12 percent of the company’s electricity.
- A 15,000 gallon water capture and reuse system in the parking lot to reduce the amount of water entering the city’s sewers; captured water will be used to irrigate the building’s grounds.
- New sidewalks, with decorative concrete from Increte Systems, that are supported by recycled gravel.
- Numerous interior upgrades such as an ADA-compliant elevator and restrooms.
- Mechanical/electrical/plumbing upgrades such as a new control system that ensures an accurate operating schedule of HVAC and lighting as well as improved zone control; modifications to the central air handling system that enable variable flow, resulting in significant energy savings; a new variable speed cooling tower and new plumbing fixtures that save potable water.
In addition, the company sent nothing to landfills during construction. Everything removed was recycled, reused or burned for energy. For example, asphalt removed from the roof was mixed with asphalt from a highway resurfacing project and used to patch the parking lot, while blinds and fixtures were donated to Habitat for Humanity. Tremco has implemented a zero landfill policy at its headquarters.
An independent commissioning agent is verifying the impact of the various solutions on building performance, and the company expects to achieve LEED Gold status in the near future. Early results show that the company is on track for its projected savings and reduction of energy use.
About Tremco Incorporated
Headquartered in Beachwood, Ohio, Tremco Incorporated is dedicated to the development of high-performance buildings characterized by energy efficiency, limited environmental impact and low operating costs. Tremco Incorporated is part of the RPM Building Solutions Group, an international leader in the construction, maintenance and repair markets that includes the Euclid Chemical Company, Republic Powdered Metals, Tremco Barrier Solutions, Tremco Commercial Sealants & Waterproofing, Tremco illbruck, Tremco Roofing and Building Maintenance and WTI. RPM Building Solutions Group companies are ISO 9001:2000 certified, and WTI is the first facility services group to attain this certification. To learn more about us, visit http://www.rpmhpbs.com or call toll-free at 800-562-2728.
SOURCE Tremco Incorporated