June 22, 2011
AMETEK Launches California Instruments CSW Series AC/DC Power Sources
SAN DIEGO, June 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- AMETEK Programmable Power (www.programmablepower.com) today introduced the California Instruments CSW Series, a completely new generation of AC/DC power sources that address the demands for more features without additional cost. By combining a flexible AC/DC power source with a high performance power analyzer, the compact CSW Series is capable of handling complex applications that have traditionally required multiple systems. This high level of integration simplifies wiring, saves valuable rack space, and ultimately reduces system cost.
5,550 - 33,300 kVA Output
A direct-coupled, transformerless design allows the CSW Series to output AC and DC on up to three separate phases or on the same phase. A single unit provides up to 5,550 kVA output, and up to six units may be connected in parallel to provide up to 33,300 kVA output. Instead of changing configuration settings from a front panel or reconfiguring internal jumpers, as you need to do with other systems, all a user needs to do is to connect each auxiliary power source to the master power source with a system interface cable. When powered, the system recognizes that auxiliary units are connected and automatically configures itself.
Powerful Waveform Generation
Built around a modern, DSP-based digital controller, the CSW Series offers powerful waveform-generation capabilities allowing users to more easily generate complex harmonic waveforms, transient waveforms, and arbitrary waveforms than ever before. This controller allows the power source to provide both AC and DC outputs simultaneously on any of the three outputs. The AC outputs can run at frequencies up to 5 kHz, much higher than the typical 1.2 kHz offered by most other AC power sources.
The supplied Windows Graphical User Interface (GUI) program can be used to define harmonic waveforms by specifying amplitude and phase for up to 50 harmonics. The waveform data points are generated and downloaded by the GUI to the AC source through the remote interface. Up to 200 waveforms can be stored in nonvolatile memory and given a user defined name for easy recall.
Using the GUI program, users can also specify and generate arbitrary waveforms. The program includes a catalog of custom waveforms and also allows real-world waveforms captured on a digital oscilloscope to be downloaded to one of the many AC source's waveform memories.
The CSW series can also be ordered with firmware that provides pre-programmed test sequences for avionics testing and EMC testing. For avionics testing, there are options for both Airbus and Boeing test sequences, and includes both commercial and military tests. For EMC testing, test firmware is available for running IEC 61000 tests.
Waveform Acquisition and Harmonic Analysis
The CSW Series includes a measurement system that digitizes voltage and current waveforms in real time and stores measurements in a 4K deep sample buffer. This time domain information provides detailed information on both voltage and current waveforms. Waveform acquisitions can be triggered at a specific phase angle or from a transient program to allow precise positioning of the captured waveform with respect to the AC source output.
The front panel LCD displays captured waveforms with cursor readouts. The included GUI program also allows acquired waveform data to be displayed, printed, and saved to disk.
The CSW Series can also provide detailed harmonic information on acquired waveforms. Information on the first 50 harmonics of the fundamental voltage and current signals (up to 16 kHz) are available. Harmonic content can be displayed in both tabular and graphical formats on the front panel LCD for immediate feedback to the operator. Alternatively, the included GUI program can be used to display, print and save harmonic measurement data.
Other Key Features
The CSW Series has many other key features that make these power sources more effective and easier to use:
- High Crest Factor. With a crest factor of up to 3.25:1; the CSW Series AC source can drive difficult nonlinear loads with ease, delivering up to 64 A of repetitive peak current (156 V range) per phase.
- Ease of calibration. The CSW Series' voltage, current, phase angle, and external signal input functions can be calibrated by using either the front panel or GUI.
- External Amplitude Modulation. The CSW Series provides an input that allows users to modulate the output with an external signal. A 0-5 Vrms provides 0 to greater than or equal to 20% modulation for each of the three output phases (plus or minus 2% of full scale output). Users can modulate any programmed function, be it internal or external.
- External Sync Input. When this feature is enabled, the CSW Series will track its output frequency and lock the Phase A output frequency to the frequency of the TTL signal on the external sync input. Users can program the phase angle of Phase A output relative to the edge of the external TTL input. There is no jitter between the outputs and the external TTL input.
- External Direct Input. Users can tie any of the CSW Series' three phase outputs to an external analog input. They can also program the gain on each input separately.
- External Gain Control. The CSW Series has two inputs that allows users to set the gain externally on individual phases using an analog voltage. The maximum gain for the high-voltage input is 44.13, the maximum gain for the low-voltage input is 22.065.
- Clock Output. When enabled, the CSW Series will output clock pulses in sync with the output to enable two or three CSW Series units to sync with one another for systems that require more than three phase output.
- Sync Output. This TTL-level signal is available at either Sync Out BNC connector on the rear panel or the Trigger BNC connector on the front panel.
The CSW 5550 Series units are available 10-12 weeks after receipt of order.
For more information, contact AMETEK Programmable Power sales at http://www.programmablepower.com or contact an authorized sales representative.
AMETEK Programmable Power is a division of AMETEK, Inc., a leading global manufacturer of electronic instruments and electromechanical devices with 2010 sales of $2.47 billion.
Full data sheet is available at: http://www.calinst.com/go/csw/
For high resolution image: http://www.ggcomm.com/Ametek/CSW.jpg
CONTACT: Craig Frahm
SOURCE AMETEK Programmable Power