Business News Archive - June 01, 2006
By Sam Baker, The Kansas City Star, Mo. May 27--Crouched so he could fit inside a 3-foot dome of water, 10-year-old Donovan Walker made his plans for the summer. He expects to come back to the new spraygrounds on Longview Road at least once a week. Or maybe it'll be closer to twice a week.
By Benita Y. Williams, The Kansas City Star, Mo. May 23--Signs announcing a drug checkpoint may not alarm law-abiding motorists, but they can panic drug couriers, who might break all sorts of traffic laws to avoid being caught.
By The Ledger, Lakeland, Fla. May 23--LAKELAND -- Watkins Motor Lines is keeping quiet for now about the possibility of a buyout by FedEx Corp.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.