Business News Archive - April 19, 2009
SANTA ANA, Calif., April 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Airborne Systems Group, which has combined the world's leading parachute brands specializing in aerial delivery, rescue and survival equipment, and engineering services, today marked the 90th anniversary of the historic parachute jump by Leslie Irvin, who later pioneered an entire parachute industry. (Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090419/LA98771) (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20071210/LAM094LOGO) Born near Los Angeles, Irvin started a ballooning and parachuting career in 1911 while in his early teens.
Student-built, fuel-efficient prototype vehicle achieves highest distance using least amount of fuel HOUSTON, April 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Distance, not speed, was the goal this weekend on the track at the 2009 Shell Eco-marathon Americas(R), a challenge for students to design, build and test fuel-efficient vehicles that travel the farthest distance using the least amount of fuel.
South Korea says the United States has yet to ask for a renegotiation of the delayed Korea-U.S. free trade agreement. South Korean Trade Minister Kim Jong-Hoon said Sunday at the Boao, China, Forum for Asia annual conference that despite repeated assertions by U.S.
- Significant milestone in China's ambitious nuclear energy program - AP1000(TM) nuclear power plant set to come on line in 2013 SHANGHAI, April 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Westinghouse Electric Company, its consortium partner The Shaw Group Inc., China's State Nuclear Power Technology Corporation (SNPTC) and Sanmen Nuclear Power Company of China National Nuclear Corporation today announced the successful completion, on schedule, of the first pour of basemat structural concrete for the nuclear island at Sanmen, the site of the first of four Westinghouse AP1000(TM) nuclear power plants to be built under a contract signed in 2007. Westinghouse President and CEO Aris Candris said the first pour of concrete at the Sanmen site is significant because it shows that SNPTC, Westinghouse and The Shaw Group are committed to bringing all four plants on line in a timely and efficient manner. "Completion of concrete pour is a major milestone that visibly moves the Sanmen project from the desig
WASHINGTON, April 19 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- American Truck Dealers (ATD) today named the International LoneStar the first "ATD Commercial Truck of the Year." The announcement was made during ATD's 2009 Convention & Exposition in Washington.
NET INCOME INCREASES 191%, OPERATING MARGIN EXCEEDS 31% LAS VEGAS, April 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Allegiant Travel Company (Nasdaq: ALGT), parent company of Allegiant Air and Allegiant Vacations, today reported the following financial results for the first quarter 2009 and comparisons to prior year equivalents: (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20060516/LATU102LOGO ) Unaudited 1Q09 1Q08 Change Total operating revenue (millions) $142.1 $133.1 6.7 % Operating income (millions) $44.5 $14.4 209.6 % Operating margin 31.3% 10.8% 20.5pp Net income (millions) $28.2 $9.7 191.2 % Diluted earnings per share $1.37 $0.47 191.5 % Scheduled Service: Average fare - scheduled service $74.52 $87.00 (14.3)% Average fare - ancillary 34.14 25.
Ford Motor Co. says it has begun a nationwide advertising campaign touting the U.S.
The Bank Indonesia says it has liquidated Bank IFI after the bank failed to meet sound banking conditions imposed on it while under regulatory supervision. ANTARA News reported Sunday that Bank IFI's license was revoked, said Wimboh Santoso, Bank Indonesia`s head of financial system stability. Wimboh said Bank IFI`s capital adequacy ratio was below 8 percent, while its non-performing loans reached 24 percent. The bank had been under supervision since 2002.
Machinists union leaders say they have reached a tentative agreement with Lockheed Martin Aeronautics on a new labor contract. The Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram reported Sunday details were not released.
- A cloth or covering, more or less ornamented, laid over the saddle or furniture of a horse, especially of a sumpter-horse or horse of state.
- Clothing, especially sumptuous clothing; equipment; outfit.
- To cover with a caparison, as a horse.
- To dress sumptuously; adorn with rich dress.