Business News Archive - January 23, 2010
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Jan. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions will open to the public on Sunday, Jan. 24 at 8 a.m.
Move to Cut-rate Carhaulers Destroys Jobs, Can Cause Hidden Car Damage DETROIT, Jan.
Word of the Day
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.
According to the OED, from the 16th century, this word is 'almost exclusively Scots and northern dialect until adopted in general literary use in the 19th.'