June 23, 2008
Roots Go Back to Victorian Times
THE school was founded in 1850 as a three class village school.
Pupils could stay until they were 14 although many left for work at the age of 12. And the head teacher and his family lived in a house on the premises, now converted into a classroom and staffroom.During the Second World War, evacuees came to the village from London and Coventry, some bringing teachers with them, and the school expanded into the village hall.
After the war it became a primary school sending 11-year-olds to senior schools in nearby Rugby.
During the early 70s, a first, middle and senior school system was introduced in Warwickshire and the school became a first school taking pupils up to the age of eight.
In the mid 1990s the system was dismantled and the school went back to being a primary school for four to 11-year-olds.
Among the former heads is the late Roy Everard, head from the late 1940s until the 1980s, who has a road in the village named after him.
(c) 2008 Coventry Evening Telegraph. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.