Education News Archive - May 12, 2006
By John Hildebrand, Newsday, Melville, N.Y. May 12--At a time when many schools are stepping up instruction for their youngest students, the East Islip district is reluctantly asking voters to approve a budget that would cut kindergarten classes from full-day to half-day sessions.
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.