We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Island — JAWSFEST(TM): The Tribute Planned for August, 2012
MARTHA’S VINEYARD, Mass., Oct. 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — In 2005, thousands of fans of the Universal Studios’ movie JAWSÃ‚© flocked to the island of Martha’s Vineyard to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the blockbuster movie at JAWSFEST(TM) ’05. Since the day the inaugural event ended, fans have been clamoring for more. In August 2012, JAWSÃ‚© fans will get what they’ve been asking for at JAWSFEST(TM): The Tribute. An event in the making for nearly seven years, JAWSFEST(TM): The Tribute will honor the talent, dedication and determination of the men and women behind the making of JAWSÃ‚© and celebrate how Steven Spielberg’s telling of Peter Benchley’s story has forever made Martha’s Vineyard ‘Amity Island.’
For the first JAWSFEST(TM), fans traveled from as far as Australia for the event and media outlets from around the world flocked to the island to cover the festivities. “Our 2005 event was incredibly successful and had a much greater reach than we ever anticipated with fans showing up en masse from around the world–many in character,” said Susan Sigel Goldsmith, event co-director from 2005 and producer of the 2012 event. “As JAWSÃ‚© continues to entertain new generations of audiences around the world, we’re thrilled to give fans a unique event experience in Martha’s Vineyard that they will never forget.”
JAWSFEST(TM): The Tribute will take place August 9-11, 2012 and will explore how the making of JAWSÃ‚© impacted the lives of those who came to Amity in 1974 and how the blockbuster film they created continues to impact fans and the island of Martha’s Vineyard. Preliminary event plans include:
- LIVING JAWSÃ‚©: A series of lively and engaging discussions with cast, families, crew and locals on the making of JAWSÃ‚©, including how the film has impacted lives and families in the 1970′s and beyond.
- JAWSÃ‚© TRIBUTE: A multimedia tribute to Peter Benchley, Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw and members of cast and crew who have passed.
- JAWSÃ‚©: MEMORIES FROM MARTHA’S VINEYARD: Presentations from Matt Taylor, author of the exceptional new book and many Island locals whose expertise and resourcefulness ultimately made the filming possible.
- BEHIND THE SCREAMS: A museum-quality display of private collections of JAWSÃ‚© photographs and memorabilia from the filming.
- IN THE SCENE: Live re-enactments from some favorite JAWSÃ‚© scenes–in some unexpected locations.
- AMITY ADVENTURE: JAWSFEST(TM) TREASURE HUNT: Attendees will test their knowledge of the film as they explore Amity, collect items from the treasure hunt and return completed kits for great prizes.
- SHARK IN THE PARK: An all-American afternoon of fun and surprises in collaboration with the MV Sharks baseball team.
- JAWSÃ‚© ON THE BIG SCREEN: Outdoor screening of JAWSÃ‚© under the stars and on the big screen.
“This is an event that JAWSÃ‚© fans from around the world have been eagerly anticipating–they are going to be ecstatic when they hear that there will finally be another JAWSFEST(TM) on Martha’s Vineyard,” said Jim Beller, owner of the JawsCollector.com website. “I know for a fact that fellow fans from around the world that couldn’t make it in 2005 are going to be coming to Martha’s Vineyard this time around.”
“The Martha’s Vineyard Chamber of Commerce is delighted to support JAWSFEST(TM): The Tribute in August 2012. We look forward to welcoming JAWSÃ‚© fans from throughout the world to explore ‘Amity’ and all that the Vineyard has to offer,” said Nancy Gardella, MV Chamber of Commerce Executive Director.
Event planning is underway. For event updates or travel information, please visit www.jawstribute.com. The event schedule will be posted when attendance confirmations are received from invited participants.
JAWS is a trademark and copyright of Universal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC. All Rights Reserved.
JAWSFEST is a registered trademark of Universal Studios LLC. All rights reserved.
Ã‚© Event content and graphics Martha’s Vineyard Promotions Network, LLC