AOC Fine Wines: Touting Best Wines from New Zealand
NEW YORK, Nov. 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — AOC Fine Wines, of Manhattan (NY), Westchester (NY) and Fairfield (CT) counties, connects local wine lovers with the most inspiring international and domestic wines. Their experts bring premium red wines and white wines from around the globe to the tables of local wine connoisseurs and amateurs. They specialize in identifying the very best, unique wine flavors indigenous to regional wineries. Each month, AOC Fine Wines features a distinct wine making region of the world, bringing its forte to the New York area through wine seminars, wine tastings and pairings, local free wine delivery and affordability.
This November, AOC is showcasing wines of New Zealand, a country with nearly 700 wineries and a full range of varietals including Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah. New Zealand’s unique climate and soil combination yields world-renowned varieties and flavors.
Since the early 1980′s New Zealand’s has been credited with producing some of the most acclaimed Sauvignon Blanc worldwide. Wine drinkers regularly praise New Zealand’s Pinot Noir, as well. Important to viticulturists and grape growth, New Zealand is known for cooler summers, milder winters and alluvial valleys that allow free soil drainage. New Zealand wineries also place great emphasis on sustainable farming, a practice that is central to AOC Fine Wines’ criteria for wine selection.
New Zealand Wine Facts:
- New Zealand winemaking began in the early 1800′s and now holds the third largest share of the global wine market, following only France and Italy
- Most planted varietals include Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinto Noir, Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah
- Eight primary wine regions in New Zealand include Auckland, Gisborne, Hawke’s Bay, Wairarapa, Marlborough, Nelson, Canterbury and Central Ontego
- Countrywide sustainability initiative includes 94% of New Zealand’s vineyards
- Maritime climate of New Zealand provides a longer grape growing season allowing a more natural ripening and balance of acids and sugars
- Sauvignon Blanc flavors vary across New Zealand depending on viticulturists’ decisions regarding planting techniques and harvest time
- Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are among the top New Zealand wines that pair perfectly with everyday, home-cooked meals
- New Zealand wines received over 300 awards at the 2011 International Wine & Spirits Competition, including 15 “Best in Class”
This month, AOC encourages wine lovers to explore Terravin wines produced in New Zealand’s largest wine growing region, Marlborough. The distinct flavors and characteristics of their Pinot Noir recently won top billing at the Great Trans-Tasman Red Wine Challenge in New Zealand against many top-seeded Australian wines.
Terravin’s wines are perfectly balanced. Their dedication to maintaining the purity of the grapes in the winemaking process achieves outstanding results, with a series of positive reviews from large industry magazines. Owners Mike and Jo Eaton create Terravin varietals to reflect unique origins, leveraging the microclimate of their estate and their viticulture expertise.
AOC Fine Wines is among a select number of wine retailers in the United States to offer Terravin and has chosen a sampling of their wines for you to explore. Terravin wines range from $25-75 per bottle.
Terravin Pinot Noir Hillside Reserve – medium-bodied, nose of plum and raspberries
Terravin Te Ahu Sauvignon Blanc – dry, richer, more complex varietal aged for eleven months
Terravin Sauvingnon Blanc 2010 – dry and crisp, complexity and mid-palate richness
Terravin Pinot Noir 2009 – award-winning, medium-bodied, juicy
Terravin Eaton Family Estate Pinot Noir – made from TerraVin’s highest quality grapes, medium-bodied
Whether you speak the language of wine or are new to the sometimes confusing descriptions and trends, AOC Fine Wines welcomes the opportunity to share their favorites and expand your wine tasting repertoire. Their selections, including New Zealand’s TerraVin, are the perfect additions to your own “house” wines or special occasions. Click here to view AOC’s selection of TerraVin wines.
AOC Fine Wines is located in Old Greenwich, New Rochelle and Manhattan, or online at www.aocfinewines.com. They offer free delivery in Manhattan, Westchester and Fairfield counties, monthly wine tasting events and a friendly, approachable staff to help you select the right wine.