Macworld | iWorld Hits High Note with Full Slate of New Music Events
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., Nov. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — IDG World Expo today rolled out exciting new elements of the Music Experience debuting at Macworld | iWorld, including special performances and presentations by sonic architect and Public Enemy mastermind Hank Shocklee, the rock group moe., and award-winning electronic artist, producer and technologist BT. IDG World Expo is also currently hosting a Call for DJs to compete at the first annual RISE Electronic Music DJ Battle & Bash. These events complement a full agenda of Tech Talks and other performances and presentations that celebrate and demonstrate how Apple technology is pushing the boundaries of innovation in music performance and production. The all new Music Experience offers attendees an unprecedented opportunity to immerse themselves in the myriad ways that Apple technology enables today’s innovators and geniuses across genres–from hard rock and electronica to house and Indie–to redefine the musical art form.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/macworld–iworld-hits-high-note-with-full-slate-of-new-music-events-134251248.html
“From the time I got my first Mac, Apple technologies have served as a foundation for my use of technology to create next-dimension sights and sounds,” said Hank Shocklee. “Whether in music, film or multimedia, these technologies have given me the tools and the freedom to go beyond what others thought possible and define not what is now, but what is next in entertainment. I am excited to be part of the music-inspired events at this year’s Macworld | iWorld and look forward to sharing my experience and my art with fans, aspiring musicians and those eager to learn how technology can set their creativity free.”
Macworld | iWorld will take place January 26 – January 28, 2012, at the Moscone Center – West Hall in San Francisco.
The full schedule of Music Experience events can be found at: http://www.macworldiworld.com/ifan/music/. Highlights include:
- FUTURE FREQUENCY: Artistic Freedom in the Digital Age, a special presentation and performance by Hank Shocklee. A Grammy-nominated producer, composer and new media executive, Shocklee is perhaps best known for founding the group Public Enemy and the production outfit the BOMB SQUAD. A force behind some of the most significant music and film projects of the last two decades, Shocklee is responsible for bringing the art of sampling to the forefront by creating techniques such as filtering, multiband micro-loop sampling, introducing the use of sine waves to create kick drums and bass lines, truncating and mapping samples on keyboards and drum machines, and using tuning to create warping in the late 80′s-early 90′s. Today, he has expanded his reach and grown into a sound designer, film composer, media company and champion of electronic music worldwide. Always seeking new and innovative ways to transform the audio arts, Shocklee launched his NYC-based company Shocklee Entertainment to develop a series of multimedia projects, which he calls the Future Frequency. His increasingly popular website, Shocklee.com, highlights a curated mix of future music, tech, film and multimedia culture.
In his presentation at Macworld | iWorld, Shocklee will analyze the advantages that artists today have over artists in any other period in time and how best to approach technology in order to free up your thinking, your work and explore new ways to shape and transform your art. This must-see session will challenge attendees to step out of the box. Following the talk, stay for a special Drum Programmers Camp exhibition/performance hosted by the mastermind himself.
- The RISE Electronic Music DJ Battle & Bash will bring together electronic music DJs competing in a club environment and feature a special performance by BT, a platinum-selling, Grammy-nominated electronic music artist, visionary producer, film composer and technologist. His latest two-hour, double-disk opus, These Hopeful Machines, weaves both the technical prowess and compositional mastery that makes BT the composer that all other composers and producers study.
<blockquote style=”MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px” dir=”ltr”>
The RISE Battle will take place in front of a live audience, whose votes, along with feedback from a panel of judges, will determine a winner who will receive a grand prize of $1,000. The judging panel itself features some of today’s hottest and most innovative DJs, including: DJ Solomon, the Bay Area-based DJ who pioneered “Pop Turntablism” (a genre now popularly known as the mashup) and serves as the resident DJ for the Golden State Warriors and one of only three in-stadium DJs for the World Champion San Francisco Giants; DJ Dani Deahl, whose reach within electro is all encompassing and whose credits include DJ, producer, journalist and blogger, she most recently headlined Lollapalooza 2011; and DJ Ean Golden, the San Francisco-based DJ who created DjTechTools.com and is widely considered one of the pioneers of digital DJing and a founder of the up-and-coming controllerism movement, he not only plays shows around the world and writes about the DJ industry, but also helps create ground breaking DJ technology.
<blockquote style=”MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px” dir=”ltr”>
The RISE Call for DJs is open until December 19. DJs interested in competing can submit now at: http://www.macworldiworld.com/rise-djs/.
- Interview & Performance with moe. hosted by Chris Breen of Macworld. The rock group moe. recently celebrated the 20(th) anniversary of the band’s frontline of Rob Derhak, Chuck Garvey and Al Schnier who continue to perform together with the addition of drummer Vinnie Amico and percussionist and multi-instrumentalist Jim Loughlin. The group has toured the world with highlights including Woodstock ’99, New York’s Central Park and has toured with legendary acts such as The Dead, The Allman Brothers Band, Robert Plant and the Who. moe. is recognized for its charitable work with WHY (World Hunger Year), Headcount, Freedom for Burma and the Red Cross (for Katrina survivors). On January 24, 2012, moe. will release its tenth studio album WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LA LAs on Sugar Hill Records. moe.’s critically acclaimed, kaleidoscopic music spans from tight, incisively well-constructed songs to fluid, conversational extended improvisation. The band will perform an abbreviated set, which will include a performance of the song “Crab Eyes” using instruments on their iPads and sit down with Chris for an interactive interview and Q&A.
<blockquote style=”MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px” dir=”ltr”>
Tech Talks–led by topic experts, innovative thinkers and creative geniuses–will offer attendees unparalleled educational opportunities on ways to leverage and maximize Apple and related tools for music creation, production and enjoyment. Sessions will cover topics including: More Cowbell: Your iOS Device as the Main Controller of Your Recording & Production Studio with Andrea Pejrolo, chair of the Electronic Production & Design Department, Berklee College of Music; The Magic of GarageBand for iPad with Lex Friedman, staff writer for Macworld; Online Tools for the Independent Musician with Dani Deahl, DJ, journalist and producer; and The Resurrection: Macs and the Live Concert DVD with John Alper, owner, 89 Systems. The full schedule of Tech Talks can be found at: http://www.macworldiworld.com/techtalks.
- The Macworld | iWorld Music Studio, presented in collaboration with Berklee College of Music, will feature sessions and performances led by Berklee professionals and other musical artists that will leave attendees inspired, motivated and entertained. This popular attraction will be filled with instruction, demonstrations, performances and training on how to use Apple technology for recording, rehearsing, editing, songwriting and more. Topics will include: Building Your Project Studio, Mobile Applications for the Musician, The Mac for the Guitarist and Drum Software for the Mac.
- A Silent ‘Frisco dance party during which attendees can switch back and forth between music performed by live DJs–including Motion Potion, A.Skillz, and U9lift–broadcast wirelessly to patented “Silent Events” headphones.
- Interview & Performance with Atomic Tom hosted by Chris Breen. The four-man, Brooklyn, New York-based rock band–featuring Luke White on vocals, Philip Galitzine on bass, Eric Espiritu on guitar and Tobias Smith on drums–gained popularity after performing their single “Take Me Out” using iPhone music apps on a New York City subway. Atomic Tom will perform and sit down with Chris for an interactive interview and Q&A.
- Live performances from Beats Antique, a live electronica and world roots-based band bred from the San Francisco performance arts scene, Eclectic Method, a group that helped pioneer the emerging art of audio-visual remixing, and J Boogie’s Dubtronic Science, a world-renowned DJ/producer who challenges the boundaries of the music world through the creation of a diverse musical language that integrates a wide-range of techniques and genres, as well as a host of additional solo and small group performances.
“The new Music Experience at Macworld | iWorld will showcase all the ways that Apple technology is driving a new generation of creativity in music,” said Paul Kent, vice president and general manager of Macworld | iWorld. “This is where technology meets music performance and attendees are in for some jaw-dropping, ear-popping experiences with experts, masters and rising stars who collectively are pushing the boundaries of what is possible in music.”
Additional events, performances, workshops, shopping, educational programming and networking opportunities will be announced in the coming weeks.
Attendee registration is now open at: https://register.rcsreg.com/r2/macsf2012/ga/clear.html. Information about event passes and pricing can be found at: http://www.macworldiworld.com/packages-and-prices.
For complete details on media qualification guidelines, please visit: http://www.macworldiworld.com/credentials. Please note that all media are required to submit media credentials for Macworld | iWorld.
Connect with Macworld | iWorld
For current happenings, news and chatter follow Macworld | iWorld on Twitter at http://twitter.com/MacworldExpo and like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/MACWORLD/58481436623.
About Macworld | iWorld
Macworld | iWorld is the world’s ultimate fan event for those who use, create, and love Apple products. Attendees will encounter a unique celebration of Apple technology-infused art, music, and film, as well as learning opportunities, and a shopping mecca in our expo hall filled with products and services for Apple users of all skill levels and interests. From home users, to artistic hobbyists and professionals, and the true Technorati–Macworld | iWorld gives attendees the chance to experience all that the amazing world of Apple-related tools can offer. Macworld | iWorld will take place January 26 – January 28, 2012 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information, please visit http://www.macworldiworld.com.
About IDG World Expo
IDG World Expo (www.idgworldexpo.com) is a leading producer of tradeshows and events for professionals and consumers seeking world-class education, strategic business relationships, and access to industry-leading products and services. IDG World Expo’s portfolio of conferences and events includes Macworld | iWorld, MacITÃ‚® Conference, Electronic Entertainment ExpoÃ‚® (E3Ã‚®), Anime ExpoÃ‚®, QuakeCon, HaloÃ‚® Fest, and Enterprise MobileNext. IDG World Expo is a business unit of IDG, the world’s leading technology media, research and event company.
SOURCE IDG World Expo