Be Fireworks Smart Before, During and After Your Consumer Fireworks Display
WASHINGTON, Jan. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Consumer fireworks are a wonderful way to celebrate holidays. But they must be used carefully! With the opening of Maine to the sale of consumer fireworks, the National Council on Fireworks Safety urges consumers to be fireworks smart before, during and after their consumer fireworks display.
Before: Choose an open area away from spectators, homes and buildings and dry vegetation. Use a garden hose to wet down the area before firing. And be sure to put on your safety glasses before starting your display.
During: As each device burns out, soak it using a hose or bucket of water.
After: Place all used items in a covered, fireproof container and leave it outside and away from homes and buildings.
“Fireworks are beautiful and add fun and excitement to holiday celebrations. But you must be fireworks smart when you use them!” says National Council Vice President Jack Leonard.
And remember the following fireworks safety tips:
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Always have water handy (a hose or bucket).
- Obey local law. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them.
- Only use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter them or combine them.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated shooter.”
- Do not ever use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives: They can kill you! Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department in your community.
The National Council on Fireworks Safety is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization whose sole mission is to educate the public on the safe and responsible use of consumer fireworks. For a full list of consumer fireworks safety tips and a safety video, please visit http://www.FireworksSafety.org.
Contact: Nancy Blogin, President, at 816 977-5838, or Jack Leonard, Vice President, at 410 287-2365, ext. 11
SOURCE National Council on Fireworks Safety