POWERADE® Brings NCAA® March Madness to 7-Eleven® Stores with Cups, Games, Virtual Towel Pops
ATLANTA, March 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ –POWERADE®, the official Sports Drink of the NCAA®, takes to the court with 7-Eleven® stores in March to celebrate March Madness® and memorable moments in finals history. With a Mountain Berry Blast® flavored by POWERADE® on both Slurpee® frozen carbonated beverage and Big Gulp® fountain machines, POWERADE® brings “miracle moments” from the NCAA® Tournament to collectible Big Gulp cups. This is the first time a POWERADE® flavor has been developed for a 7-Eleven frozen carbonated beverage, but it is not a sports drink.
Each of the four collectible Miracle Match-up Big Gulp cups features a stand-out former NCAA basketball student-athlete during a game-changing play. Team players featured are Taliek Brown, 2004, University of Connecticut Huskies; Lorenzo Charles, 1983, North Carolina State Wolfpack; Jon Bryant, 2000, University of Wisconsin Badgers, and Tony Skinn, 2006, George Mason University Patriots. All four of these limited-edition cups are now available in participating 7-Eleven stores nationwide for $1.49 each.
7-Eleven also offers a Match-up Slurpee cup ($1.99), a special spoon-straw ($1.49) and a new Purple Freeze aluminum cup ($3.99).
A Quick Response (QR) code on each Big Gulp cup links to a mobile POWERADE website where CBS Sports Analyst, Greg Anthony hosts a brief video on that cup’s featured big play. For a limited time, this video content is exclusive to 7-Eleven, compliments of POWERADE.
“These Big Gulp collectible cups match up well with one of our key consumer demographics, sport fans ages 18 to 45,” said Jesus Delgado-Jenkins, 7-Eleven senior vice president of merchandising, marketing and logistics. “These cups are a create value as a re-useable soft drink container. And, the QR code offers a way basketball fans can get exclusive video content, adding value to their purchase.”
Other features this month at7-Eleven stores include:
- A custom-made pair of neon-colored Slurpee high-top sneakers will be awarded to five lucky Slurpee fans. The cost to enter the contest is five Slurpee Rewards Points, and winners will be selected in a random drawing at the end of the month.
- Slurpee fans who tweet answers to daily basketball opinion or trivia questions on Twitter and include the hashtag – #BigGulpHoop – will be entered to win a Slurpee-branded mini-basketball hoop and ball. Five of the mini-hoops, ideal for smaller-than-life pick-up games or as a boredom-buster, will be awarded daily during March.
- 7-Eleven has created a virtual towel pop — like painful towel pops in locker rooms after a big game — for sports-lovers to send to friends from the Slurpee webpage. The e-towel pop can be found on the Slurpee Nation Rewards page (at slurpee.com) and is free to send. Unlimited towel pops can be sent, but only one animated snap at a time.
- A second free offer is a teeny-tiny sweatband for the Slurpee spoon-straw. The wee red, white and blue sweatband art can be printed from the webpage, cut out and affixed to any Slurpee straw, because nobody likes a sweaty straw.
- Slurpee vans will sample the POWERADE® Mountain Berry Blast® flavored Slurpee drink at select Orlando, Los Angeles and Dallas-Fort Worth-area events.
If you are a member of the media, please visit: http://www.magicbulletmedia.com/MNR/temp/7ElevenMiracleMatch-Ups/ for downloadable video and photos.
About The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world’s largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, the world’s most valuable brand, our Company’s portfolio features 15 billion dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, POWERADE, Minute Maid, Simply, Georgia and Del Valle. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, ready-to-drink coffees, and juices and juice drinks. Through the world’s largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy our beverages at a rate of more than 1.7 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world’s top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system employees. For more information, please visit www.thecoca-colacompany.com or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo. For more information on POWERADE, please visit www.us.powerade.com or www.facebook.com/POWERADEION4.
About 7-Eleven, Inc.
7-Eleven, Inc. is the premier name and largest chain in the convenience retailing industry. Based in Dallas, Texas, 7-Eleven operates, franchises or licenses more than 9,100 7-Eleven® stores in North America. Globally, there are some 45,200 7-Eleven stores in 16 countries. During 2010, 7-Eleven stores worldwide generated total sales of more than $62.7 billion. 7-Eleven has been honored by a number of companies and organizations recently. Accolades include: #2 on Forbes magazine’s 2011 list of Top Franchises for the Money; #4 spot on Entrepreneur magazine’s Franchise 500 list for 2009, #3 in Forbes magazine’s Top 20 Franchises to Start, #3 among Top 100 Global Franchises by Franchise Direct, among GI Jobs magazine’s Top 100 Military-Friendly Employers, #3 in Store Growth by Convenience Store News, #2 in Franchise Times Top 200 Franchise Companies, #2 in AllBusiness AllStar Franchise ranking for 2012 and #29 among Top 100 Chains in Food Service. Hispanic Magazine named 7-Eleven in its Hispanic Corporate Top 100 Companies that provide the most opportunities to Hispanics. 7-Eleven recently was selected by three diversity publications as a company offering the best career and franchisee opportunities. In addition, Symphony IRI recognized 7-Eleven in its 2009 Shopper-Centric Marketing Innovation program, and 7-Eleven received the 2010 Retailer of the Year from PL Buyer because of the company’s private-label brand initiative. The company is franchising its stores in the U.S., and is expanding through organic growth, acquisitions and its Business Conversion Program. Find out more online at www.7-Eleven.com.
SOURCE 7-Eleven, Inc.