Top Movie Film Locations in Asheville and North Carolina Mountains
ASHEVILLE, N.C. , March 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — The beautiful scenery from Asheville and the North Carolina mountains appear in many movies. Most recently, The Hunger Games filmed in several locations near Asheville. According to RomanticAsheville.com Vacation Guide, here are the top 10 movie locations in western North Carolina:
- Biltmore Estate: The Biltmore House was first seen on the big screen in 1952 when The Swan opened starring Grace Kelly. More than a dozen other major motion pictures filmed on the grand estate, including The Clearing, Hannibal, Return to Secret Garden, My Fellow Americans, Richie Rich, and Being There.
- Chimney Rock: This year marks 20 years since the release of Last of the Mohicans starring Daniel Day-Lewis. Widely-known for its stunning scenery, Chimney Rock Park was showcased during the film, and they will celebrate the 20th anniversary with a special movie viewing on June 16.
- Lake Lure: Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey starred the 1980s hit Dirty Dancing that started a dancing craze. The annual Dirty Dancing Festival there is August 17-19.
- Cold Mountain: While the 2003 movie was not filmed at the infamous mountain featured in the best-selling Charles Frazier novel Cold Mountain, visitors explore the areas featured in the book.
- Downtown Asheville: The first movie shot in Asheville, Conquest of Canaan, was filmed in the 1920s in what is now Pack Square.
- DuPont State Forest: Mega-movie The Hunger Games filmed in 2011 at this popular hiking and mountain biking area.
- Great Smoky Mountains: The Fugitive, the blockbuster starring Harrison Ford, was filmed at Cheoah Dam and Nell with Jodie Foster filmed at Fontana Lake.
- Grandfather Mountain: Several of the running scenes in the 1994 Academy Award winning Forrest Gump were shot in the mountains, including Forrest running up the curvy road at Grandfather Mountain.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Both Patch Adams and The Green Mile filmed on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Black Mountain: 28 Days starring Sandra Bullock was filmed in 1999 at a conference center that is substituted as the mental institution.
Take a movie location tour during your Asheville vacation. For more information, go to www.RomanticAsheville.com Travel Guide.
Press Release Contact Information:
RomanticAsheville.com Vacation Guide
This release was issued through WebWire(R). For more information visit http://www.webwire.com.
SOURCE RomanticAsheville.com Travel Guide