2012 Matrix Award Winners & Presenters Announced
NEW YORK, March 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — New York Women in Communications will present the 2012 Matrix Awards on Monday, April 23, 2012 to honor ‘Women Who Change the World,’ during a luncheon at the Waldorf=Astoria in New York City. The ceremony, hosted by Interpublic Group, will feature honorees and presenters such as Glenn Close, Ann Curry, Meredith Vieira, Rocco DiSpirito, Kirsten Gillibrand and Lesley Stahl.
The Matrix Awards is recognized by the communications and entertainment community as one of the most outstanding events of the year, with more than one thousand people expected to gather to celebrate and salute exceptional women in communications industry. Previous award recipients include Tina Fey, Martha Stewart, Anna Wintour and Annie Leibovitz, to name a few. Portions of the proceeds from the Matrix Awards will go to the organization’s Foundation, which offers a full range of scholarships and educational programs for women, whether just beginning or embarking on a transition in their careers.
2012 Matrix Award Honorees & Presenters:
- Tyra Banks, Chairwoman, CEO & Chief Creative Officer of Bankable Incorporated; Presented by Katie Couric, Journalist, Author, Cancer Advocate & Host of “Katie,” premiering September 2012
- Gayle Butler, EVP of Meredith Creative Content and Editor-in-chief of Better Homes & Garden; Presented by Rocco DiSpirito, Chef, Best-Selling Author of Now Eat This!
- Glenn Close, Actress/Producer, Co-Founder & Chairman of the Board of Bring Change 2 Mind; Presented by Deputy Chief Theresa J. Shortell, Commanding Officer, NYPD Gang Division
- Maria Cuomo Cole, Film Producer and Chairman of HELP USA; Presented by Kirsten Gillibrand, United State Senator, New York
- Ann Curry, Emmy-Award winning Co-Anchor, “Today” and Correspondent; Presented by Meredith Vieira, Special Correspondent, NBC News
- Laura Desmond, Global CEO of Starcom MediaVest Group; Presented by Susan Werner, Songwriter
- Zenia Mucha, Executive Vice President, Chief Communications Officer of The Walt Disney Company; Presented by Barbara Walters, ABC News correspondent; “The Barbara Walters Specials”; Creator, Co-Host and Executive Producer of ABC Daytime’s “The View”
- Peggy Noonan, Wall Street Journal Columnist and Best-Selling Author; Presented by Lesley Stahl, Correspondent, “60 Minutes”
“We are pleased to recognize these eight extraordinary women for their remarkable achievements in communications and welcome an incredible cast of presenters to join us in applauding them,” said Catherine Mathis, president, New York Women in Communications. “These individuals, from top executives of worldwide corporations to award-winning journalists and global humanitarians, truly embody the Matrix Awards’ theme–Women Who Change the World and we look forward to honoring them in April.”
“The Matrix Awards is the premier event for our industry honoring women in media and communications. We couldn’t be more excited to have IPG play a part in a program that strengthens and inspires individuals working across the marketing spectrum,” said Nancy Rabstejnek Nichols, Senior Vice President, External Affairs Weber Shandwick/Interpublic Group. “We congratulate the winners and hope this event will help further the mission of New York Women in Communications, as well the Foundation’s scholarship program, in nurturing the next generation of communications professionals.”
TICKETS: Individual tickets, tables and information on sponsorships and program advertising opportunities are now available at www.nywici.org.
About The Matrix Awards
Since 1970, New York Women in Communications’ Matrix Awards Luncheon has been recognized by New York’s communications and entertainment communities as one of the most outstanding events of the year. Past recipients include Arianna Huffington, Katie Couric, Meryl Streep, Nora Ephron, Ann Moore, Toni Morrison, Barbara Walters and Anna Quindlen.
Proceeds from the Matrix Awards Luncheon are used by New York Women in Communications to develop and maintain a full calendar of affordable programs and special events, networking and support systems for the organization’s members and the community at large. Additionally, the New York Women in Communications Foundation awards scholarships and provides educational programs for women, whether just beginning their careers or embarking on a transition in their careers. It is the largest foundation for communications scholarships for women in the tri-state area. Recipients are introduced at the luncheon.
About Interpublic Group
Interpublic is one of the world’s leading organizations of advertising agencies and marketing services companies. Major global brands include Draftfcb, FutureBrand, GolinHarris International, Initiative, Jack Morton Worldwide, Lowe Worldwide, Magna, McCann Erickson, Momentum, MRM Worldwide, Octagon, R/GA, UM and Weber Shandwick. Leading domestic brands include Campbell-Ewald; Campbell Mithun; Carmichael Lynch; Deutsch, a Lowe & Partners Company; Hill Holliday; ID Media; Mullen and The Martin Agency. For more information, please visit www.interpublic.com.
Follow Us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NYWICI
Matrix hashtag: #matrix12
Contact: Kristen Kurtz
SOURCE New York Women in Communications