World’s Most Downloaded Recipe App — Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner — Gets Major Upgrade With New Grocery Scanner
SEATTLE, April 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Allrecipes.com, the world’s #1 digital food brand, today announced the most downloaded food app, Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner for iOS and Android, received a major upgrade with a new Grocery Scanner. The feature, available for both Dinner Spinner and Dinner Spinner Pro, enables home cooks to scan grocery barcodes directly from a smartphone to find recipes, add items to shopping lists or save items in a scan history, creating a “virtual pantry” to keep track of items at home. Pairing the Grocery Scanner feature with the #1 recipe app, offering thousands of recipes rated and reviewed by millions of home cooks, is a match made in kitchen heaven.
According to the comScore MobiLens report, 58 percent of smartphone owners use a phone while in brick and mortar stores to shop, and 1 in 5 use it to scan barcodes. “We are thrilled to launch this update to our Dinner Spinner app as a barcode scanner that connects to our recipe database is a convenient feature we know our time strapped community will love,” said Lisa Sharples, president of Allrecipes.com. “With more than 11 million global downloads of Allrecipes’ Dinner Spinner, developing innovative new features that meet our community’s needs and complement our apps is a top priority for Allrecipes.”
Top 5 Ways to Use the Grocery Scanner
- Quickly scan a grocery item’s barcode to search for recipes with related ingredients.
- Manage shopping lists with the touch of a finger. Out of milk? Scan the carton’s barcode before it hits the recycle bin to add milk to the list.
- Scan groceries to easily keep track of what’s in the kitchen. Home cooks can check their scan history at the grocery store so they don’t buy something they already have — creating a virtual pantry on their phone.
- Save money by scanning sale items to find related recipes. For example, if Greek Yogurt is on sale, but a home cook isn’t sure what to do with it, a quick scan reveals nearly 100 matching recipes ranging from an easy Tzatziki Sauce to a delicious Garlic Feta Dip!
- Search the fun and easy way! Home cooks can now add a custom panel to the Dinner Spinner’s slot-machine-style search feature. Quickly scan or manually add favorite ingredients such as quinoa or sour cream to find recipes with ingredients that match. Undecided? Let the spinner choose!
In addition to the new Grocery Scanner features, Shopping List, previously only available for Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner Pro, is now available on the free version of the app. With the new and improved Dinner Spinner Apps, home cooks will have everything they need at their fingertips to keep a well-stocked pantry and a full happy family.
For more information about Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner’s new Grocery Scanner check out the video on YouTube and to download the new apps, visit the Apple App Store, Amazon Appstore or the Android Marketplace Google Play.
Allrecipes, the world’s largest digital food brand, receives 750 million annual visits from family focused women who connect and inspire one another through photos, reviews, videos and blog posts. Since its launch in 1997, the Seattle-based social site has served as a dynamic, indispensable resource for cooks of all skill levels seeking trusted recipes, entertaining ideas, everyday and holiday meal solutions and practical cooking tips. Allrecipes is a global, multiplatform brand providing insights into the lives of women everywhere based on activity from 17 websites, 16 mobile sites, 9 mobile apps, and 13 eBooks serving 22 countries in 11 languages. Allrecipes is part of Meredith Corporation, the leading media and marketing company serving American women. For additional information regarding Meredith, please visit www.meredith.com. For additional information regarding Allrecipes, please visit www.allrecipes.com.