THX® Announces Five New THX Certified Global Cinemas, Mastering/Production Studio Partners and THX Approved Equipment
LAS VEGAS, April 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — CinemaCon 2012 – Booth #2619 – THX Ltd. today announced five new THX Certified facilities and THX Approved equipment that meet or exceed THX unique and rigorous standards for delivering a world-class cinematic experience: Basecamp Films, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (in progress); Chinese Theatres, Hollywood, CA; James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment MBS Media Campus, Manhattan Beach, CA (in progress); Meyer Sound, Berkeley, CA; and SonicPool, Hollywood, CA.
THX has long been recognized as the company who has set the industry benchmark for delivering the finest entertainment experience, as the director intended. The company’s broad set of technology specifications enables cinema owners to design high quality theaters that offer an optimal presentation of a film anywhere in the world. This is achieved through a unique combination of architectural analysis, equipment validation and the configuration of the theater itself. THX works closely with cinema and facility owners to certify room acoustics, equipment choice, design and electronics that go into the booth. The following are the latest THX Certified Cinemas, studios and THX Approved equipment providers:
- Basecamp Films: Basecamp Films is a film and television color grading and digital cinema mastering facility in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. When complete, the THX Certified 3D-stereoscopic mastering theatre will provide its regional clients with a critical viewing environment for the mastering and quality control of their digital cinema content and DCP packages. The THX Certified mastering theater at Basecamp will be Malaysia’s first certified digital cinema mastering facility. Basecamp Films also relies on THX cineSpace(TM) color management software to deliver the richest, most accurate color and image representation for the highest quality end results.
- Chinese Theatres: Grauman’s Chinese Theatre is the most sought-after theatre in Hollywood for studio premieres. Fans flock to these events to see the celebrities arrive and walk the red carpet into the theatre. Rich in movie tradition, with its cement handprints and footprints in the forecourt, the Chinese Theatre immortalizes the brightest stars. More than four million visitors from all over the world visit The Chinese Theatre every year. THX has worked with Grauman’s over the years and through the theatre’s recent management change, helping the facility to consistently deliver the best performances to its customers.
- Lightstorm Entertainment: The production company of movie director James Cameron has worked on films such as Terminator 2: Judgment Day, True Lies, Titanic and Avatar. Lightstorm signed a lease agreement in 2011 with MBS Media Campus, the state-of-the-art production lot in Manhattan Beach owned by the Carlyle Group and managed by Raleigh Studios, which puts the Academy Award winning director at the MBS Media Campus for his two highly anticipated sequels to Avatar – the most successful film of all time. Production for the sequels will continue to be on the cutting edge of motion picture technology utilizing the latest performance capture filming methods to create the Avatar universe. As the most technologically advanced major production studio outside of Hollywood, the MBS Media Campus also provides Cameron and Lightstorm a unique campus-like atmosphere, proximity to the Southern California coastline and an eco-friendly mandate. THX is working with Lightstorm to certify its screening room at MBS, which will ensure future films and content will be delivered to consumers as Cameron intended.
- Meyer Sound: Meyer Sound has been devoted to meeting the needs of sound reinforcement professionals with the finest products available since 1979. Developed in collaboration with the top audio engineers in the cinema industry, the Meyer Sound EXP cinema system utilizes the company’s THX Approved screen channel and surround loudspeakers and subwoofers. Meyer Sound EXP sound systems are installed in commercial cinemas across North America, Europe and Asia. Film sound professionals also rely on EXP monitoring systems in post-production facilities such as Skywalker Sound, Wildfire Studios and American Zoetrope in California, as well as at De Lane Lea in London. The latest Meyer Sound equipment to be THX Approved is the Acheron Designer screen channel loudspeaker (THX pm3 Approved), which would typically be used for film sound design rooms and small theaters. Visit Meyer Sound at CinemaCon at booth #2610 and in demo room Neopolitan I.
- SonicPool: SonicPool, founded in 2001 by two post-production specialists, Patrick Bird and John Frost, is located in Hollywood and Burbank and is comprised of more than 50 offline editing suites, eight online edit suites, one THX Certified theatrical stage, three theatrical mix stages, seven audio editorial suites, production offices, machine room and commercial quality 2D & 3D Blu-Ray, DVD authoring suites. The company’s post-production services include sound and picture finishing, edit suite and production office rentals, and deliverables for feature film, television shows and games. Credits include 007, Call of Duty (all games in franchise), NFL Network, People’s Choice Awards, Sex and the City DVD Box set, Spiderman (all games in franchise), The Sing-Off, X-Men and many more.
“As cinemas continue the move towards digital innovations, including the delivery of 3D content, the industry is truly at the ground floor in terms of ways directors and producers can push content development and, at the end, enhance the entertainment experience,” said Jerry Zernicke, director, Professional Services, THX Ltd. “The ongoing challenge is for facilities to uphold quality standards to meet and exceed consumer demands and be able to accurately translate the true director’s intent to the consumer.”
The goal with the THX Cinema Certification program continues to be ensuring that the audio and video elements of a film are identical to how it was created in the studio, and that the vision is accurately translated to the movie goer without disruption in the cinema. As technology advances and the industry evolves, THX’s standards evolve as well, setting new requirements. One aspect that has remained consistent with the THX Cinema Certification program is the implementation of sound acoustic practices, which THX continues to execute nearly 30 years later.
For additional information on THX Certified Cinemas, please take a look at the latest video on the THX Cinema Certification program: http://www.thx.com/test-bench-blog/thx-certified-cinema-overview-video/.
THX at CinemaCon 2012:
THX will be discussing its THX Cinema Certification and THX Approved Equipment provider programs at CinemaCon booth #2619 and will be highlighting its latest partners. In addition, THX announced its “Where in the World is Tex?” international online photo contest on April 23, 2012 which will run through May 25, 2012. THX encourages fans from around the world to capture and upload their best photo of THX’s mascot, Tex, in and around local THX Certified Cinemas or well-known city landmark near these cinemas, and share them on the THX Facebook Page. Come by the THX booth #2619 during the show to pick up your free Tex doll along with the Official Rules and Regulations for your chance to win a number of incredible prizes, including one year’s worth of movie tickets (24 tickets total).
From the big screen to your screen, THX ignites your passion for exciting entertainment experiences. Founded by George Lucas and recognized by audiences around the globe, THX is synonymous with the design and certification of world-class cinemas, premium audio systems, 3D HDTVs and blockbuster movies. Products featuring THX technologies defy convention and define quality in their class, whether in the cinema, in the home or on the road.
SOURCE THX Ltd.