Meta Watch(TM) launches Bluetooth® 4.0 smartwatch for iOS & Android Developers
DALLAS and ESPOO, Finland, May 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Today, Meta Watch launches its new smartwatch development system featuring Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology for connectivity and compatibility with Apple’s iPhone® 4S, iPad 3, and Android platforms. It is available for purchase immediately from the Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) e-Store and the Metawatch.org web site. Initial customer shipments will commence before the end of May.
Leveraging TI’s CC2564 “dual mode” solution, the Meta Watch development system supports both Bluetooth low energy technology and ‘classic’ Bluetooth wireless technology enabling it to function in many new applications.
“We are delighted to be the first company to ship a Bluetooth 4.0 smartwatch compatible with both iPhone and Android platforms” said Bill Geiser, CEO and co-founder of Meta Watch. “While our new development system will greatly expand opportunities for Meta Watch, our goal remains unchanged – to make it simple and profitable for developers to create smartwatch applications. To this end we offer a broad range of customization options for our customers. Embedded system developers can leverage our open source firmware, embedded SDK, and a free embedded programming IDE that runs on most Windows and Linux Operating Systems. Our remote protocol and API’s enable smart phone application developers to leverage their existing iOS or Android code base eliminating the need to create a new code base for a new platform. Last, but certainly not least, our supply chain and production infrastructure was created from the very beginning to scale and allow our ODM/OEM customers to get to market fast.”
Features of the Meta Watch Bluetooth 4.0 development include:
- Case / strap: 3 ATM water resistant stainless steel leather strap (in black or white)
- Colors: black or white
- Display: Mirror polymer network LCD; 96×96. Fully reflective for direct sunlight
- Lens: scratch-resistant mineral glass
- I/O: 6 fully programmable buttons, 3 axis accelerometer, vibrating motor & an ambient light sensor
- MCU: TI’s ultra-low-power MSP430(TM) microcontroller
- Radio: CC2564 Bluetooth 4.0 transceiver; with profile support for SPP and BLE-GATT
Pricing, availability, and more
- Availability date: May 2012
- Unit Cost of Meta Watch Development Platform: USD $199
- Regions shipped to: US & Europe.
- Where to buy: https://estore.ti.com/ and www.metawatch.org
- Available Styles: Stainless steel case with black mask & black leather strap; stainless steel case with white mask and white leather strap
- Latest information: www.metawatch.org
About Meta Watch
Meta Watch is a privately-held company focusing on reinventing the watch as a stylish and relevant mobile accessory. Meta Watch allows developers to quickly and easily extend the interfaces of devices and applications to the wrist. Target markets and applications include: quantified self & mobile health; messaging, alerts, and notifications; carrier value added services; navigation & location-based services; mobile and music lifestyle enhancement. Meta Watch is based in Dallas, Texas and has a R&D facility in Espoo, Finland.
Meta Watch is a trademark of Meta Watch Ltd. The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Meta Watch Ltd. is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
SOURCE Meta Watch