American Academy of Environmental Medicine Calls for Immediate Caution regarding Smart Meter Installation…Cites Human Health Impacts of Chronic Exposure to Radiofrequency (RF)
WICHITA, Kan., May 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has released its latest position paper on electromagnetic field (EMF) and radiofrequency (RF) health effects calling for immediate caution regarding smart meter installations. Citing several peer-reviewed scientific studies, the AAEM concludes that “significant harmful biological effects occur from non-thermal RF exposure” showing causality. “A more thorough review of technological options to achieve society’s worthwhile communications and business objectives must be conducted to protect human health and wellbeing,” stated Dr. William J. Rea, a member of the AAEM and former thoracic surgeon. “By continuing to layer more and more wireless communication within our communities, we are setting the stage for widespread disease.”
The AAEM also expresses concern regarding significant, but poorly understood quantum field health effects of EMF and RF. “More independent research is needed to assess the safety of ‘Smart Meter’ technology,” said Dr. Amy Dean, board certified internist and President-Elect of the AAEM. “Patients are reporting to physicians the development of symptoms and adverse health effects after smart meters are installed on their homes. Immediate action is necessary to protect the public’s health. Our research shows that chronic RF and EMF exposure can be very harmful.”
Dr. William J. Rea, past president of AAEM, and a long time researcher on the effects of EMFs on the human body, says, “Technological advances must be assessed for harmful effects in order to protect society from the ravages of end-stage disease like cancer, heart disease, brain dysfunction, respiratory distress, and fibromyalgia. EMF and wireless technology are the latest innovations to challenge the physician whose goal is to help patients and prevent disease.”
The AAEM calls for:
- Immediate caution regarding “Smart Meter” installation due to potentially harmful RF exposure
- Accommodation for health considerations regarding EMF and RF exposure, including exposure to wireless “Smart Meter” technology
- Independent studies to further understand health effects from EMF and RF exposure
- Use of safer technology, including for “Smart Meters,” such as hard-wiring, fiber optics or other non-harmful methods of data transmission
- Independent studies to further understand the health effects from EMF and RF exposures
- Recognition that electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a growing problem worldwide
- Consideration and independent research regarding the quantum effects of EMF and RF on human health
- Understanding and control of this electrical environmental bombardment for the protection of society
The AAEM’s position paper on electromagnetic and radiofrequency fields can be found at: http://aaemonline.org/emf_rf_position.html.
AAEM is an international association of physicians and other professionals dedicated to addressing the clinical aspects of environmental health. More information is available at http://www.aaemonline.org.
SOURCE American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM)