CTIA-The Wireless Association® and The Wireless Foundation Launch Growing Wireless Campaign and Website to Help Parents Teach Their Kids How to Use Wireless Responsibly
WASHINGTON, Aug. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — CTIA-The Wireless Association® and The Wireless Foundation today announced the launch of Growing Wireless campaign and website (www.GrowingWireless.com) to provide parents with tools and information to educate themselves so they may teach their kids how to use wireless technology responsibly. GrowingWireless.com offers easy-to-understand information and tips for parents on how to handle issues such as cyberbullying, sexting and privacy; links to CTIA’s member companies’ parental management tools; and CTIA and its members’ online safety, policy and education initiatives.
As today’s kids enter an increasingly wireless world, CTIA and its member companies want to help parents navigate the constantly evolving and innovating U.S. wireless market of services, devices and applications. To ensure parents can quickly get the information they need to provide a safe and rewarding wireless experience for kids, GrowingWireless.com helps parents to:
- Be Aware – Explains and offers tips to help parents understand cyberbullying, sexting, privacy and responsible use.
- Learn & Engage - Identifies the steps parents should take to keep their kids safe and responsible wireless users, including sample family rules, links to CTIA member companies’ parental management tools and an overview of the CTIA Mobile Application Rating System with ESRB.
- Talk & Share – Allows parents the opportunity to talk and share tips with other parents about how they handled their kids’ wireless use and provides a place for parents to submit questions to CTIA’s online safety experts.
- Understand Policy – Reviews the current policies, voluntary initiatives and best practices offered by CTIA and its member companies to help parents manage, monitor and control how their kids use wireless.
- Get the Facts – Offers up-to-date information about kids’ wireless usage and research and studies to help parents make informed decisions using the latest data. In addition, a glossary of key terms helps parents understand wireless industry terminology.
“Through GrowingWireless.com, CTIA and our members continue to offer parents the tools, features and resources to educate themselves and their kids to use wireless safely and responsibly. There are significant benefits to wireless technology, but with the constant innovations from the wireless industry, parents may feel keeping up is a challenge. GrowingWireless.com serves as the website for parents to stay up-to-date on the latest wireless safety issues with straightforward information, tips and news,” said Steve Largent, President and CEO of CTIA-The Wireless Association and President of The Wireless Foundation.
“The wireless world increases opportunities for our children to connect and learn, but also increases their exposure to bullies, identity thieves, predators and other threats. We are pleased that the CTIA is taking steps to provide parents with information about these online risks and practical tools to help them empower their children to navigate the wireless world safely and responsibly,” said Maryland Attorney General and National Association of Attorneys General President Douglas F. Gansler.
Additional features and materials will be added to GrowingWireless.com as part of CTIA’s continuing effort to promote responsible wireless use. GrowingWireless.com will also be translated into Spanish by September. The new site builds on and replaces the “Be Smart. Be Fair. Be Safe: Responsible Wireless Use” website that was launched in 2010.
CTIA-The Wireless Association® (www.ctia.org) is an international organization representing the wireless communications industry. Membership in the association includes wireless carriers and their suppliers, as well as providers and manufacturers of wireless data services and products. CTIA advocates on behalf of its members at all levels of government. The association also coordinates the industry’s voluntary best practices and initiatives, and sponsors the industry’s leading wireless tradeshows. CTIA was founded in 1984 and is based in Washington, D.C.
CTIA-The Wireless Foundation (www.wirelessfoundation.org) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to developing and supporting initiatives that use wireless technology to help American communities. The Foundation’s innovative programs benefit consumers in areas such as education, healthcare, safety and the environment. As part of its Annual Achievement Awards, the Foundation recognizes VITA(TM) Wireless Samaritans and honors the best of our nation’s leadership, its youth and its scholars. The Foundation was formed by CTIA-The Wireless Association® member companies in 1991.
SOURCE CTIA-The Wireless Association