Wolf Trap’s Innovative Artistic Series Pushes Boundaries, Creating New Experiences for National Parks, Artists, and Audiences
VIENNA, Va., Aug. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts will premiere Face of America: Spirit of South Florida on September 8 for one night only in its seventh installment of the world renowned series, which showcases the harmony between artistic expression and our country’s natural treasures. Face of America: Spirit of South Florida uses the performing arts to explore the unique landscapes and the diverse cultures of Biscayne National Park, Big Cypress National Preserve, Dry Tortugas National Park and Everglades National Park.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please visit: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/56018-wolf-trap-face-of-america-spirit-of-south-florida
Wolf Trap Foundation commissioned renowned choreographer, David Parsons to create an original work that will portray the essence of the parks. Parsons Dance will perform live on stage at Wolf Trap to the live music of Miami’s Cuban-American, timpa band, Tiempo Libre, and the recorded music of Andrew Bird – taking audiences on an unparalleled artistic adventure through South Florida.
The special evening combines live dance and music, together with HD video of Parsons’ dancers filmed on-location in the Parks projected on an enormous HD screen at the 7,000-seat Filene Center at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. From the swamps of the Everglades, to the aquamarine waters of the Biscayne Bay, to the celebration of freedom at Fort Jefferson…audiences will be taken on an artistic journey through the National Parks of South Florida in a “first” for both dancers and the Parks in this multimedia/live performance adventure.
What makes Face of America: Spirit of South Florida unique?
- Take an inimitable journey through one of the world’s largest ecosystems featuring innovative dance from internationally acclaimed Parsons Dance, live on-stage;
- Experience stunning visuals of Parks and the original, Wolf Trap commissioned dance works filmed on-location in each park by renowned producers Blue Land Media;
- Absorb an unforgettable soundtrack highlighted by a live performance from GRAMMY-nominated, Cuban-American timba band Tiempo Libre and recorded music from multi-instrumentalist Andrew Bird;
- Witness dancers interpreting the movement patterns of iconic wildlife (alligators, spoonbill, anhinga, egret birds; and fish);
- Learn of the recreation available in the wilderness and on the water, just a few miles from Miami;
- Identify with the resilient spirit of a population that overcomes the devastating effects of hurricanes and celebrate an island park that welcomes Cuban refugees onto American soil
“We are thrilled to partner with the National Parks in South Florida to shine a light on the many different faces of these special lands–from the diverse people of the region to the varied wildlife to the critical preservation elements. There is so much rich culture here and we think the arts can bring that out in a very unique and meaningful way,” said Terrence Jones, Wolf Trap’s President and CEO, and creator of Face of America.
Face of America: Spirit of South Florida will premiere on September 8, 2012 at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, 1551 Trap Road, Vienna, VA 22182. In keeping with Wolf Trap’s mission to keep the arts accessible to the broadest possible audience, prices for this world premiere performance range from $15-$40. For tickets, visit http://www.wolftrap.org/Home/Find_Performances_and_Events/Performance/12Filene/0908show12.aspx
Face of America: Spirit of South Florida represents Wolf Trap’s seventh( )installment of its signature performance series
Previous Face of America performances include:
- Face of America: Yosemite National Park
- Face of America: Virgin Islands National Park
- Face of America: Mammoth Cave National Park
- Face of America: A Celebration of Flight
- Face of America: Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park
- Face of America: Glacier National Park
View a high energy montage of clips from Face of America: Spirit of South Florida at http://youtu.be/fquN_xf59pw.
View our 30 second TV spot at http://youtu.be/7V6DBNudZN0.
View Face of America photos in our newsoom at http://www.wolftrap.org/Media_and_Newsroom/Photos_for_Publication.aspx#face
Past performances were featured in a 90-minute PBS Great Performances special, titled “Dance in America, Wolf Trap’s Face of America(TM)” showcasing the series and available online at http://video.pbs.org/video/1099370504.
To learn more about Wolf Trap’s Face of America series, please visit: http://www.wolftrap.org/Learn_About_Wolf_Trap/Artistic_Initiatives/Face_of_America_Series.aspx
SOURCE Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts