RetailMeNot Introduces Free Android Coupons App to Help Mobile Shoppers Save Money In-Store and Online
AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com), the largest online coupon site in the United States, today announced that it is releasing its first native Android app for shoppers who want to search for savings on-the-go.
Smartphone owners can download the app for free, which is available within Google Play for smart phones with the Android operating system. For more information about RetailMeNot’s mobile offerings, including a brief instructional video, visit http://www.retailmenot.com/mobile.
“We are enjoying very strong triple digit year-over-year growth in mobile traffic, with over 20% of RetailMeNot’s total traffic coming from either iPhone, iPad, Android or other devices. As consumers are beginning to shift from just researching to actually transacting on their mobile device, we are committed to creating the best possible experience for both consumers and merchants. This Android app moves us closer to this goal by offering an experience customized for that operating system,” said Cotter Cunningham, CEO and founder of WhaleShark Media, Inc., the operator of RetailMeNot.com. “Our iPhone app has been downloaded nearly 600,000 times since we launched it just over 2 months ago. With comparable traffic coming to our mobile website from iPhone and Android users, we believe we will see similar demand for our Android app.”
Features of the new RetailMeNot Android coupons app include:
- Simple, easy-to-use interface with curated and frequently updated “Hot Deals” - our latest coupons from thousands of merchants.
- Availability of in-store mobile coupons or offers where cashiers confirm or scan coupons to process the savings for consumers.
- Ability to save coupons for later use.
- Instant tap-and-paste functionality enables consumers to quickly use coupon codes within the checkout process at most online stores, an advancement over standard Android “select, copy and paste” functionality.
- Coupons are also curated and searchable within retail categories (e.g., apparel, electronics, sports, etc.) and arranged via the most popular stores on RetailMeNot, making savings exploration and discovery simple.
- Predictive-store-search functionality enables consumers to find coupons for their favorite retailer in just a few taps.
“Merchants should note that smartphones are increasingly becoming a part of the shop and buy experience, especially for those under the age of 35,” said John Faith, senior vice president, mobile, WhaleShark Media, Inc. “As a new generation grows to think of mobile commerce as the norm, merchants need to evolve their promotional strategies to ensure they are multichannel. Merchants should also consider how powerful mobile devices are in transferring large online audiences into in-store sales opportunities.”
Recently released RetailMeNot and Ipsos Public Affairs research identified the following mobile use behaviors among consumers, which found that:
- Over a third (34%) of adults use or have used a smartphone or tablet to shop or research a product or service they’ve considered buying, including a majority of adults under 35 (54%).
- Parents (43%) and college graduates (41%) are also more likely to say that they’ve used a mobile device to help them shop.
- The same proportion (34%) reports that they would be more inclined to make a purchase shopping in an actual store if they could find a good coupon for an item or service on their mobile device.
- This is particularly true among younger adults (54%) and to a lesser extent parents (45%).
- However, not all have done so, as just one in five respondents (20%) say that they have used a coupon they found online using their mobile phone/tablet when shopping in-store.
- About a third (32%) of those under 35 years of age say they have done so, compared with 19% of those aged 35 to 54, and one in 10 of those aged 55 and over.
- About one in seven adults (15%) say that they have made an online purchase using their mobile device when in a physical store because they found a better price online.
- 26% of those under 35 years of age say they have done so, compared with 15% of those aged 35 to 54, and just 6% of those 55 years of age and over.
- More than half of adults have a smartphone (56%), and the majority of them (62%) currently download mobile apps.
- Adults under 35 years of age (71%) are more likely than those aged 35 to 54 (56%) and 55 years of age and older (42%) to have smartphones.
- Other adults who tend to be more likely to have smartphones include those with incomes over $50,000 (63%), those with children in the household (67%), those with college degrees (67%), and those working full time (66%).
- Among smartphone users, adults under 35 years of age (74%), college graduates (69%), and those with incomes over $50,000 (63%) are most likely to download mobile apps.
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted May 14-17, 2012. For the survey, national samples of 1,005 adults aged 18 and older from Ipsos’ U.S. online panel were interviewed online. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics and ensure that the sample’s composition reflects that of the U.S. adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. A survey with an unweighted probability sample of 1,005 and a 100% response rate would have an estimated margin of error of +/- 3.1 percentage points. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the leading consumer destination for collaborative online coupon, deal and promotional code hunting and sharing. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of deals and offers from retailers from across the globe. Online coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by WhaleShark Media, Inc., the world’s leading marketplace for online coupons and deals.
Shopping on the go? Download the RetailMeNot Coupons App for iPhone and Android to access hot deals, browse top coupons, popular stores and categories and get thousands of online and in-store coupons to Save When You Want, Where You Want(TM). Make sure to “like” RetailMeNot.com on Facebook, follow the company via Twitter @retailmenot and add us on Google+.
About WhaleShark Media, Inc.
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (www.whalesharkmedia.com) is the world’s leading marketplace for online coupons and deals. The company’s websites enable consumers seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of offers from retailers across the globe. WhaleShark Media experiences more than 400 million consumer visits to its sites every year. The WhaleShark Media portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the largest online coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the largest online coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; web.Bons-de-Reduction.com and www.Poulpeo.com in France; www.Deals2Buy.com; www.CouponSeven.com; and www.CouponShare.com. WhaleShark Media is a fast-growing, profitable company funded by venture capital firms Austin Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adams Street Partners, Google Ventures, J.P. Morgan Asset Management and Institutional Venture Partners (IVP).
+1 512 777 2957 office
+1 202 330 3070 mobile
+1 512 777 2887
+1 832 398 5792