Top 15 Teams Remain Unchanged In USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 National Football Rankings
MCLEAN, Va., Oct. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Stability has taken hold for the nation’s top high school football programs this week, as the top 15 teams in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national high school football editorial rankings, led by No. 1 Manatee (Bradenton, FL), remain unchanged from the previous week for the first time this season.
While the upper half of the Super 25 remains intact, two new schools–Coppell (Texas) at No. 20, and Dr. Phillips (Orlando, FL) at No. 25–make their first appearances in the Super 25 this year, with both teams having reeled off five straight wins to open their respective seasons.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30(th) year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Coppell (5-0) enters the rankings at a strong No. 20 after defeating Texas rival Allen HS, the No. 16 team in the Super 25 last week, 27-24 in overtime on Friday behind two passing TDs and one rushing TD from quarterback Colby Mahon. Dr. Phillips, also 5-0, takes over the No. 25 spot after its convincing 35-18 win over DeLand (FL), in which RB Eric Harrell ran for 153 yards and a TD.
Following is the complete listing of this week’s USA TODAY High School Sports football rankings.
USA TODAY High School Sports
High School Football Super 25
For Week of October 1, 2012
1. Manatee, Bradenton, Fla. (4-0)
2. John Curtis, River Ridge, La. (5-0)
3. Byrnes, Duncan, S.C. (6-0)
4. Santa Margarita, Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. (5-0)
5. DeSoto, Texas (5-0)
6. Bellevue, Wash. (5-0)
7. De La Salle, Concord, Calif. (5-0)
8. Katy, Texas (4-0)
9. Camden County, Kingsland, Ga. (5-0)
10. Butler, Matthews, N.C. (6-0)
11. Colerain, Cincinnati (6-0)
12. Vista Murrieta, Murrieta, Calif. (5-0)
13. Eden Prairie, Minn. (5-0)
14. Trinity, Louisville (6-0)
15. Goose Creek, S.C. (6-0)
16. Hoover, Ala. (5-0)
17. St. Ignatius, Cleveland (6-0)
18. Bergen Catholic, Oradell, N.J. (3-1)
19. Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas (4-1)
20. Coppell, Texas (5-0)
21. Carmel, Ind. (7-0)
22. Good Counsel, Olney, Md. (4-1)
23. La Salle, Wyndmoor, Pa. (5-0)
24. Ensworth School, Nashville (7-0)
25. Dr. Phillips, Orlando (5-0)
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY and Gannett’s more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service U.S. Presswire, USA TODAY High School Sports and USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group